Help a new moderator understand Discourse?

This is my first post in this forum, and I’m not sure I’m in the right place. Please correct me as needed!

This morning I un-silenced a user, but now I do not see his profile in the regular users list. I can see his profile under the admin tools user page, but I do not get an “Activity” tab, so there is no easy way to locate this user’s most recent posts. I do see the the Activity tab for other users.

This user does not have me muted, but I would hope that users cannot mute moderators in the first place.

Where do I look for help with a problem like this?
Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

The regular users list (or the User Directory) is highly cached, so it takes a while for someone new to appear there.

In the admin area, you can find any user, and on their Admin User page there should be a “Show Public Profile” button at the top that when clicked, takes you to their Activity page.

4 Likes

Yeah look for the admin wrench, and use those menu items and areas to do “admin”-y things. The difficulty here is that you tried to use the public facing user directory for an admin task :wink:

Also see Discourse Moderation Guide – does that still need updating @jomaxro?

3 Likes

It should not anymore, guide updated.

4 Likes

As far as I know this is possible, yes, but that’s not your problem here.

1 Like

No… that’s not possible.

1 Like

Is it only TL4 “community moderators” which can be muted then?

Moderators can’t be muted. TL4 ain’t moderators.

5 Likes

To All,
Thanks for the replies!

That would seem to cover it, because I can see everything now.

Now, where is the panel that let’s me dial down user recalcitrance? :wink:

2 Likes

It’s in the refractory. :grin:

1 Like

New question: what is the effect of screened IPs that are not blocked? Do mods get a notification of activity from these IPs? Are posts/comments automatically hidden until approved?

I don’t think any other state other than blocked and “not on the list” is possible at the current time?

The other state is “Allow”. Is that a do-nothing?

We have a serial troll, and I was hoping it might flag activity from this IP as Needs Approval.

I did search for this first, but didn’t find anything.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.