Hetzner deleted my account, my server and I was left with nothing. What to do?

Tip: (if you don’t have a lawyer) use ChatGPT for this. Just prompt it to write like a lawyer and tell it your problem and ask it to write an email.

6 Likes

Lol not sure if that’d be a good idea or not but you could try that.

Also if you haven’t already talked to cops about this @danielabc they could help, at least report your data as being stolen then they may be able to recover it if it hasn’t been deleted yet.

At least you could file charges for theft, don’t know if they’d be able to track down whoever did this but at least they could open an investigation, maybe start by contacting https://burnermail.io/ they may have to disclose the identity of that address aserd44.3c458a@burnermail.io if you can get a court order for that.

About Hetzner don’t know if they are guilty of any crimes with this or they’d be considered the victim in a data breach, but it is possible they were not in compliance with security regulations so you could try suing them for that.

1 Like

She’s on the other side of the world. And even if she wasn’t, that’s not going to help.

1 Like

You may be right, didn’t know if Daniela is German and in Germany or she is in Brazil?

1 Like

I think she needs to find a lawyer who is familiar with EU data security and privacy regulations.

1 Like

lol

Anyways I’m not sure if ChatGPT would make a good source, but it seems well in the role-playing model. An easy way to write an email, but I would still rely on human lawyers just to be on the safe side

2 Likes

EU data security does not apply to people that are not in Europe so if the forum does not target a European audience and the client is from Brazil, they won’t do anything with that.

The only reason I gave that advice is because she already said she cannot afford a lawyer. And ChatGPT is definitely better than no lawyer.

4 Likes

I’m not sure about that. There’s a reasonably recent case where some lawyers presented ChatGPT generated information in court only to find out that the case histories referred to in the information had been invented. OK, lawyers should know better and check the facts, but it makes me wonder how much of ChatGPT is just accepted as good without anyone actually checking it.

3 Likes

If EU data security and privacy rules only apply to those in the EU, the why on earth do we have all the stuff for dealing with EU compliance issues for those of us who do not live in the EU or have servers located in the EU?

2 Likes

I have no idea, you would need to ask the people who have that stuff or who made the law.
But I think we’re deviating from the problem of OP a bit. All I was saying is that if someone from Brazil wants to leverage the GDPR to get their data back from a German company, they don’t stand a chance.

4 Likes

I think this is straying away from useful advice and more into general discussion. I’ll close this for now, but if you’d like to update with a resolution @Danielabc please feel free to send a PM to @community-moderators. :+1:

11 Likes