Hide staff from /about page

Music to my ears!!!

Suggestion 1 - Hide mods too

Simply extend the existing functionality so that Moderators can also be hidden (using the same field) and call it ‘hidden staff’ instead.

This makes sense as Discourse cleverly ensures that each Staff user only appears in either Admins or Our Moderators (but not both). While there is less utility in hiding Moderators, there are still some use-cases such as having a test moderator.

Suggestion 2: Hide Category Mods

It is quite common for folk to want to hide Category Mods, as they take up oodles of space and there is little value exposing them publicly outside of the context of the specific category.

Sometimes it makes sense to hide just some of the Category Mods categories, but expose others.

Easily achieved with CSS, for example on my site:

// hide category moderators on /about page
section.about.category-moderators {
    display: none;
}

I’d do this by using a single field which allows either all or individual categories to be specified.

It might be helpful to be able to suppress some individuals, but I don’t think that it is worth adding that at this stage unless folk ask for it as it would need to be a bit more complex.

Suggestion 3: Roll in Extended About text

That is a super helpful TC, but it only does a single limited function. And would be dead easy to roll in.

It makes sense to me for all /about customisations to be in one place. Plus @nolo is a great dude and might well like to collaborate on this.

You might want to rename this TC ‘Custom About Page’ or similar if you go down this path.

Sub-suggestion: Markdown

It would be even better if the extended about field accepted markdown rather than just raw HTML.

2 Likes