Higher level of granularity for category & subcategory styling

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Show subcategory list UI:

I find our current options for category styling a bit confusing. When I change the category style, I expect that category style to apply everywhere, unless otherwise specified. The fact that a subcategory index has a unique, hardcoded styling is unexpected.

I’d love to have category UI settings with this level of granularity:

• desktop category page style

• Categories only

• Categories with featured topics

• Categories and latest topics

• None; just show Latest

• :new: desktop sub-category list style (replaces show subcategory list)

• Inherit desktop category page style

• Categories only

• None; just show Latest

• :new: #feature page style (i.e. configured in a category’s General settings)

• Inherit desktop sub-category list style

• Categories only

This would would allow us to set a more documentation-friendly styling for our #howto category, while the rest remains focused on discussion.

(Also find it a bit weird that we only do this on desktop, as there’s definitely a way to do a mobile style layout for all of these options, but that’s a different topic.)

Show subcategory list UI
(Jeff Atwood) #3

I’m not able to understand your post – can you perhaps use some cropped screenshots to illustrate?

(Tom Newsom) #4

If I understand it, we’re talking about having the option to maintain the two-column split view while browsing categories, or to only show subcategories with no topics listed (in the case of “container” categories).

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Perhaps @erlend_sh can clarify with cropped screenshots.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

I’m holding off on the mockups since I suggested a simpler solution in one of our internal discussions.