Hosting Optimization with Digital Ocean

Hi there,

I am currently building out a site with a Discourse droplet on Digital Ocean, that will host 20K-30K users over the course of July. I am trying to figure out the best storage option on DO in order to optimize my server. I had some problems with different software last year with crashing, so I am trying to avoid that if possible this year. What would you recommend?

1 Like

How many page views to you expect?

You should configure a CDN and use a spaces bucket for uploads. See Setting up backup and image uploads to DigitalOcean Spaces and Using Object Storage for Uploads (S3 Clones)

EDIT: But, really, probably AWS S3 is a much better choice.

4 Likes

I’m honestly not sure. A lot, haha.

I’ll look into those resources, thanks!

Note that DO spaces are encountering a lot of performance issues lately and that their CDN is broken with Discourse.
Also, because of those performance issues, you cannot create new spaces in FRA and NYC until the end of this year.

3 Likes

This is a very good point. I guess I mentioned it because he mentioned DO. An engineer who used to work for them is surprised that they are even still supporting it. I’d recommend going for sho’nuff AWS S3, though I’m tentatively optimistic about backblaze’s offering.

3 Likes

That will depend a lot on the nature of your forum. If the users will not upload a lot of files you will be good with any storage that is included in the Droplet of your choosing.

Now, if you’re going to have a lot of files uploaded then any AWS S3 Clone would be great to get working, I haven’t seen any issue with DigitalOcean Spaces but my use of it is very light so I’d take both @RGJ and @pfaffman opinions into consideration when cooshing the S3 Clone to use.

2 Likes