Hostname not accessible

Sorry, I have no idea what i am doing.

At the configuration I have tried the following to no avail:

• discourse..org
  • host..org
  • www..org

What is my hostname supposed to be?
If someone goes to www..org now, the forum i am using with another forum host provider shows up.
Is that the problem?

Thank you

sorry i don’t know why but i typed in “mydomain” with these “>” inbetween the dots in all the addresses above and it was removed

Ideally, your hostname should be a DNS name that routes to the server where you’re trying to install Discourse. This configuration tells Discourse what URL name to respond to for requests.

If you are intending to replace your other forum provider with Discourse, then you’d need to first make sure that either the DNS has been updated to the server where you’re installing Discourse, or that you remove the existing forum and use that server to install Discourse.

thanks for the swift response Ghan!

Should the hostname have its own record in my DNS setting (attached)?

If yes, then was i supposed to create it before installing discourse?
or was discourse supposed to do this automatically?

1 Like

i hope it’s safe to show the above information?

Usually the server will have its own DNS record, yes. You would need to create that before installing Discourse. The installer does not know who your DNS provider is and has no standard way of doing this for you.

1 Like

ok thanks,
Should i edit the cname record for www.mydomain.org,
and put in the servers ip address there under content?

1 Like

Right. Your host name needs to resolve to your server IP address. This is not secret information, as anyone who wants to access your server by its host name must necessarily be able to determine its ip address.

Thanks Jay,

So then when it comes the discourse installation,
Should I submit the www.mydomain.org as the hostname?

Hi Jay, sorry i haven’t been able to follow up sooner.
Any word on my last question?

I also got a postgresql error on my last attempt to install

2020-05-27 21:27:14.782 UTC [64] FATAL:  could not map anonymous shared memory:                                                     Cannot allocate memory
2020-05-27 21:27:14.782 UTC [64] HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory segment exceeded available memory, swap space, or                                                     huge pages. To reduce the request size (currently 1399185408 bytes), reduce Pos                                                    tgreSQL's shared memory usage, perhaps by reducing shared_buffers or max_connect                                                    ions.
2020-05-27 21:27:14.783 UTC [64] LOG:  database system is shut down