How are user titles generated?

Sorry if this is a very basic question but I could not find the answer on the forum: where do user titles come from apart from that Admins can set them manually for each user?

On the User Preference, there is a Title entry with an edit icon, the user can select a Badge/TL level to utilize as their title. Admin and Moderators on the other hand can alter the User’s Title to any custom text via the Admin > Users area.

4 Likes

You can set user title for every group using the setting Default title for all users in this group. And also you can allow users to choose the granted badge name as user title using Allow badge to be used as a title.

3 Likes

I don’t have this option in the meta forum here but I have it as an admin in my own forum. So ist this a matter of regular user vs admin or a matter of overall forum settings?

And when I have this setting in the user preferences, where do the options that I can choose from come from?

I already mentioned it in my above post.

If there are no options to choose then it will not display the field in user preferences.

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of it on Meta

2 Likes

In case anyone is wondering where to find the Allow badge to be used as a title setting: it’s in the settings for each individual badge.

5 Likes

Hm, I have created several badges with “Allow bdage to be used as a title” enabled but in my user preferences, I cannot select them as my title.

In fact, my title is not showing in my user preferences at all any more but it does show in the admin user settings. What could be the cause of this?

I am not sure when it disappeared, but here are some changes I have made recently:

• changed my user name
  • installed a couple of plugins
  • updated a couple of plugins

Has your user been granted said badge(s)?

LOL, you might be onto something there… I didn’t know I have to grant the badge, assumed that allowing users to select it would suffice. In fact, I had no idea how to grant a badge (found the answer here) and even less so how to grant a badge automatically (couldn’t find the answer).

What I would like to do is the following: when people become a member of a group, they are granted a badge, indicating their membership in that group and they can then choose to display that membership as their title. Sounds simple, but I just can’t figure out how to do this.

You do know there is a section on each Group that is titled “Default title for all users in this group”, right?

If you set that, and the user has not previously selected a title, it will put that text as their title.

Yes, I’m aware of that. But people can be members of several groups and with the default title, I’d assume that they will always get the title of the group they joined last and they cannot change it. Not good. That’s why I thought going via the badge system might be a good idea.

2 Likes

If you want to go the badge route, read this:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-can-i-apply-a-badge-to-group-of-users/17998/2?u=cpradio

To enable the Badge SQL box, you must follow

(Sorry it took so long to reply with this detail, it took me a moment to find it again)

4 Likes

No worries. It tells me that it’s not just me who can’t find this stuff and encouraged me to suggest some changes in the UI.

1 Like