Let users custom their title

in admin panel, i can modify user title as any string.
but in user panel, they only can use pre-defined Badge as title.
what can i do if i want to open custom title to users ?

There is no way to do this. Some sites treat ā€œfull nameā€ as a title and change it all the time to ā€œfunnyā€ values.

4 Likes

@codinghorror: Is there a particular reason for this? Could there be a site setting to enable arbitrary titles for users, so real names can remain, well, real?

As an admin you can modify title for your users if you want. But you have to do it manually for each user.

I use this option only for super-devoted users.

2 Likes

Just a friendly warning to @zh99998 before encouraging users to change it: the ā€œfull nameā€ field is also used for email notifications so you might get emails from e.g. ā€œthe popeā€.

4 Likes

Only if you set email to use real name. You can just as easily have username appear in the from: field via a simple site setting.

2 Likes

I like it, possibility to customize the title could be a good award

1 Like

Thatā€™s generally what we do as well. The admins all have ā€œTeam Radientā€ as their title, and the mods have support something or other as theirs. We then give our very devoted users or those who have done something above and beyond an honorary title. We have titles like ā€œMaster Translatorā€, ā€œStonehearth Architectā€, and ā€œStonehearth Scribeā€.

1 Like

There is a partial solution thisā€¦ you can let them pick from a list of pre-approved Titles.

Make Badges which have the checkbox ā€œcan be used as titleā€ and then your users can pick from the badges they have earned.

4 Likes

I also think this could be a great feature in the future. It could even be linked to a specific user profile field. In our case we would love the title to be used for job title - since our discourse is for people in the design industry and it would be great to show what their job titles are and where they work

This is already possible with badges, if the badge confers a title, it is available to the user.

On other sites, simply displaying full names (see how yours says ā€œCommon mc commonpawnā€) gives users a de-facto ā€˜titleā€™ they can edit as they see fit by editing their full name. A number of sites do this and engage in this practice of wacky full names.

Yes, but we canā€™t create a badge for every job title out there :slight_smile: e.g. ā€œFront-end dev @ Discourseā€ ā€œUX Designer @ Googleā€, etc.

Weā€™re currently thinking about solving it by changing the name of the full name field to job title - however, we would also love to keep the full name field reserved for full names :wink:

Custom User Field + plugin to change post template (widget now) + some css would be needed for that.

As it stands, custom titles serve a role as staff-vetted strings to put next to your name - users canā€™t falsify them (but they can remove them, usually).

The ā€œfull nameā€ does well for having fun :slight_smile: