How can I remove post history?

Hi there!

I just want to know how can I remove post history? For example my post have 6 revision. But I want to remove 5 of them. They waste my disk usage. OK, I know maybe it is not too much. But if you think about total 10k post with 6 revision that makes 60k. Depends to your editing, it could be waste too much disk for sure. Actually it is not important either it waste too much disk or not. We should be able to delete post revisions anyway in my opinion.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

It is possible to hide revisions, look for the trash icon on the edit history dialog.

I don’t believe that is that @bek is asking. He mentioned disk usage, hiding a revision doesn’t do that, it just removes it from the client view for non-staff users.

That being said, I don’t believe this would be possible without accessing the database.

4 Likes

Yes, you right. I don’t talking about hiding revisions, I want to remove them. Who actually need a dozen of revision all the time? Don’t you think this is waste of resources @codinghorror ?

Anyway, as I said before take it waste or not, we should be able to remove these revisions… If there is no feature request like this, let me make one here :thumbsup:

(Forgive me if I say something rude, I’m not native speaker)

1 Like

Also interested in this…
I wish there was a setting to disable the ability for the public to see revisions, as in, disable the pencil…
17%20am

Is there a setting to turn off the ability to review past revisions?

Mahalo!

1 Like

You’re looking for the edit history visible to public site setting. Disabling that will hide it.

6 Likes

Thanks, that did it!

It’s too bad it doesn’t remove the pencil too, but you’re right, it did disable the ability to click and view.

Mahalo!

3 Likes

@John_Smith3
You can hide the pencil from everyone but staff by clicking the pencil icon, then hiding all the revisions one-by-one:

The edit history visible to public setting will also need to be set as well.

2 Likes

There was never a reply to this specific question, but disk or other resources usage regarding post revisions is negligible.

It’s rarely useful to respond to a 3 year old post in a fast moving OS ecosystem anyway. :wink:

And that’s one reason why automatic three years bumping is… perhaps not that good idea?

And if someone with strong enough tools wants move this to somewhere else and close this topic, it is just fine for me (and I know you guys don’t need my permission for anything :rofl: that is just polite’ish way to tell moderators that maybe we are at off topic now)

1 Like

Maybe auto delete threads after x years without a reply jk😂 This is still the one persistent view on forums i will always, always disagree with.

In general use of web forums, I have found over the years soo many solutions from very old threads (and very old blog posts for that matter) but also a lot of useless bloat and dead ends within those threads…where users and mods complain about bumping and/or not using search, rather than keeping up the quality of the thread or directing it on topic.

We should welcome discourse, if the thread is not relevant, it will fall into oblivion naturally.

Oops Edit:
Regarding the original question, for anyone else who comes to this thread via search: Maybe there is, or could be, a plugin to deal with that. (Keep only the last x revisions) or an official setting within admin panel to keep only a max # of revisions. Or, to delete revisions older than x days.

If this feature is important, it may probably see the light in future. We’ll see.

Also see:

Oh, it’s just in case if someone has the same question in the future and comes across this topic.

1 Like

Just to disinter this topic again, this is possible: Automatically delete topics in a category if no reply within set period - #2 by RGJ. I’m sure it wouldn’t take much work to modify that plugin :slight_smile:

1 Like