How can I track Discourse Signups For Facebook Ad Campaigns

We’re about to start experimenting with running facebook ads that show our to our most popular topics to targeted, and probably segmented audiences.

Is there any way I can check the Discourse signup rate of these particular ads to see how they are doing?

I’m not thinking of retargeting at this point. Just present the topic, have them visit and see if they signup.

I was thinking a FB tracking pixel, but I’m not sure where I would put that in a way that would track signups, or how I could add it

1 Like

I can think about how to technically build something with this level of tracking but there is nothing built-in that would sort this out.

In theory what you want is for each ad to append a tracking param ?source=fb and then carry that information around somehow.

Simplest extension to take care of this is something that integrates with google analytics and raises an analytics event when someone enters via facebook and when someone signs up. Would take a few days to build and test, maybe ask in #marketplace

4 Likes

I’ve thought about it a little more… Turns out a tracking pixel is only used for retargeting, so I won’t be using one (At least not now).

So the plan would be to build different campaign links for each ad. That will at least show me how each ad (topic) did as far as new users, time on site, #pages viewed etc.

Example URL: https://forums.kartpulse.com/t/drop-down-nose-cones/237/18?utm_source=FB&utm_campaign=ForumsDec2016&utm_medium=Ad&utm_content=Racers25Plus

Is there a page that I can have users “land” after they signup? Then I could set this page as a goal in GA.

There’s the “an email has been sent” page.

1 Like

Figured this out yesterday when I just happened to be looking at “real time” analytics and a couple of folks signed up while I was in there.

All you need to do is set a URL goal of “/users/account-created” in GA.

n.b., this will not show historic signup goals, but it will begin to track them from the time you add the rule.

4 Likes

If “/users/account-created” is the first next URL a new user is redirected to after a succesful signup, you can easily track conversions in FB (and have FB optimize your ad delivery for conversions!) by

1. Installing your FB Pixel to all pages and URLs on your discourse (directly or via GTM)
  2. Creating a Custom Conversion in your Facebook Ads manager (Name: Discourse Signup, Rule: URL contains users/account-created, Category: Lead)

When you launch ads, you then simply select Conversions as your Campaign Objective and have FB optimize your ad delivery for conversions, in this case Discourse Signup.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thanks Klemen. I added the custom conversion in ads manager just now an extra data point. I’ve had the pixel on the forums for a few months.

The issue I’m having is that not every user seems to get sent to that URL after they sign up. I’m not sure what the variable is though.

1 Like

If they sign up with a pre-validated email (e.g. Google, most Facebook auth), they will not land on the “account created, please verify your email” page.

Bummer. Can you think of another URL that could be used to fire a pixel or an event?

1 Like

If you can target a property being non-empty, add a tracking property with the value of Discourse.User.currentProp('username') .

3 Likes

Thanks @riking I will see if I can figure that out and give it a go.

I tried fb signup event which didnt work, however the purchase event was fired a number of times instead :man_facepalming:t2::joy: which is ok for me as long as fb optimizes accordingly

2 Likes

I was creating a goal including this url part, but was hesitant when looked at historical data. But your ‘N.B’ opened a new perspective for me and I’ve set a goal properly containing this url.
Fingers crossed for now.

Thank you for writing this line.

1 Like

Could you pls clear this a bit more for a non-technical person?

2 Likes

I’m wondering the same thing. I too am trying to track where signups came from and need a URL to set up goals against. Do others see traffic from /users/account-created ? I’m also interested in the Riking’s suggestion below but don’t understand the setup. Thank you!

I have traffic from there… but I can’t say with certainly that all signups are being tracked there.

with Facebook Custom Conversions.

The question is more what events/URLs to track on the discourse platform to trigger a conversion.

There seems to be more than one way this happens.