How Discourse Scaled to $10M ARR With Only 1 Salesperson

It all began in 2013 with a vision – and a small team of engineers building a product that would disrupt the rapidly stagnating online forum space. While we didn’t specifically call it out at the time, we were going to market with a product-led sales strategy that we nurtured to a point where it became a fully blown growth strategy which sustained us for the next decade.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.discourse.org/2023/03/how-discourse-scaled-to-10m-arr-with-only-1-salesperson/
32 Likes

I didnt realize Discourse is worth 10m! And I didn’t even realise you had a “salesmen” and thought everybody does a little bit of it.

5 Likes

That are nice numbers. Wasn’t aware of this as well. Anyways always enjoying the blogs, very insightful and nice to read.

7 Likes

That’s not a value, it’s an annual revenue number

Presumably the company value is at least an order of magnitude greater?

10 Likes

In this case ARR refers to “Annual Recurring Revenue”

13 Likes

For SaaS companies averaging a 10x from ARR, assuming growth rate is at least 1 and NRR (Net Revenue Retention) is 1 (both are probably higher), that would be 100mm+ valuation, never realized this actually, go Discourse!

8 Likes

As the others mentioned above, we’re worth a lot more than that! $10M is our annual recurring revenue (i.e. the revenue we make each year at the current time). And you’re correct that we all do a lot of it, but I was focused on Enterprise level sales negotiations, hence the one salesperson.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

18 Likes

Nobody does it like Discourse. Y’all are the GOAT compared to any other platforms I’ve used–and improving all the time. Thanks to all!

9 Likes

Impressive growth achieved by Discourse with a product-led sales strategy. Sustained success over a decade with a small team of engineers.

3 Likes

Kudos for the team!

I’m a super random guy but I only recognize value at companies and foundations started with a real purpose, builded with heavy work and focus on that :pray:

5 Likes