How do you install Discourse using Windows 10 Docker Desktop?

I’ve went the step of using WSL and downloaded Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS.
Then going through the
-discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub
setup, I get hit with an alert that I should use

WSL DETECTED: We recommend using Docker Desktop for Windows.
Please get Docker Desktop from Docker Desktop - Docker

Thing being; I do have Docker Desktop installed. But I do not see a tutorial that would install a production environment of Discourse. I don’t want my emails captured and I’m already running Discourse on a free Oracle instance, email all setup, know how to use app.yml to install plugins.
In which I want to transfer from that asap due to how slow it takes to build and would like a better experience than my forum freezing when just clicking on backup.

How am I supposed to install Discourse to a container with Docker Desktop on Windows 10? Do I just ignore this WSL warning and continue?

I’m confused if I should use
bitnami/discourse>Docker Hub

because trying to use discourse/base>Docker Hub
docker pull discourse/base
results with a

PS C:\Users\localuser> docker pull discourse/base
Using default tag: latest
Error response from daemon: manifest for discourse/base:latest not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

tl;dr, what instructions of setup should I use for production using Docker Desktop on Windows 10 21h1?

1 Like

If your want a production environment you need to use Ubuntu (or some Linux at least). Production on windows is not supported.

1 Like

What’s your purpose? Have a forum that you can access outside your computer, or just trying stuff on a local installation?

I experiment daily on a “production” forum on Ubuntu via WSL on Windows 10. The forum is not accessible from the internet, I only use it locally. I just configured some files in windows so I can access the forum through my Windows browser.

3 Likes

Just wanting to run the discourse site without development mode settings on my local machine. Just trying to see if there’s instructions for how to setup using docker desktop as the alert told me when setting up WSL Ubuntu 24.04.4 with the cloud install instructions.

I plan to just use Cloudflare tunnel and enable the template in app.yml.

Is it better to use docker desktop or do I just ignore the warning and wait the +sleep 20, and install on WSL anyway?

For my configuration, where the forum isn’t accessible from the Internet, but is from my own computer), I ignored the warning.

However, I needed a domain name to be resolved from my Windows browser, so I needed to do these steps:

1. Redirect an arbitrary domain name (d.com here) to my machine by editing c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. I added these lines:

127.0.0.1         d.com
    255.255.255.255   broadcasthost
    ::1               localhost d.com

2. Create a new file: C:\Users\yourWindowsUserName\.wslconfig and write this inside:

[wsl2]
    localhostForwarding=true

3. Reboot WSL:
    wsl --shutdown (Powershell)
    Or
    wsl.exe --shutdown (Ubuntu)

4. In Ubuntu, start Docker (it doesn’t start automatically):
    service docker start

5. Comment the SSL lines in /var/discourse/container/app.yml such as:

#  - "templates/web.ssl.template.yml"
    #  - "templates/web.letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml"

6. Rebuild