How does auto-close topics work?

When I made this post:

It was automatically locked for no reason, the channel does not auto lock topics usually & the user broke none of the rules, they never changed categories either.

Can someone tell me the story behind this please?

It says in the screenshot:

automatically closed 1 minute after the last reply

6 Likes

You would need to contact the admins of that site.

If you click on the profile pic next to the lock, you will see who closed the topic.

1 Like

The system closed the post, I am an admin of the site.

It was closed ‘one minute after the last reply’, which sounds like a topic timer? Is there anything special about the category they posted in?

I was thinking maybe a mistyped timer in the category settings tab. Something like this:

Or maybe just one on that topic?

3 Likes

It’s not on and it was never put on, it hasn’t had any timers, it never had any effects on it either.

All I can suggest is checking the /logs

I don’t know of another way that message appears? I think it’s specifically an Auto-Close one that’s based on last reply. It seems that the topic had a timer put on it somehow, and by the system rather than by a mod or admin.

If you have access to the data explorer you could check the topic_timers table for clues, but I don’t know how much that will give away? If there’s no record of one for that topic that might help rule it out at least.

SELECT *
FROM topic_timers 
ORDER BY created_at DESC

Has it happened to any other topics?

@JammyDodger, he just needs to go check the /admin/logs/

I didn’t think system timer closed topic appeared in the admin logs? I’ll have another play.

The last ‘topic closed’ admin log on my test site is from 4 days ago. The two I’ve just been playing with with the Timers do not show up there. I will investigate further. :slightly_smiling_face:

Update:

I’ve just run it again, and if I set an Auto-Close timer for 1 minute after the last reply, the topic closes but no admin log is created. :man_shrugging: The only related thing in there is the record of the category settings change to add the timer (when I add one through the topic wrench, it leaves no record).

By the look of it, the only place to find a record of a topic timer (other than the close message itself) is through using the Data Explorer and checking the topic_timers table.

3 Likes

It doesn’t show on the logs.

I had another case of this happening:

No topic timer or anything.