How many TL3 users do you have? Do the TL3 requirements really make sense?

Yes, as mentioned earlier, this definitely should be an optional setting. :+1: Also it should be talked about if only positive reactions should count or all reactions which could include e.g. a :rage: reaction I have active in my forum (as the only negative reaction). And if reactions count 1:1 or maybe less than the built-in likes.

As mentioned, in my particular setup, without having the reactions counted, the trust level system is not very functional with the default values or even at all, because:

Ah, thank you! :slight_smile: I was not aware of that button. Maybe also because I do not see the button for TL1 users, only for TL2 and TL3.

I checked half of our TL2 users and I saw that for 9 of them, the only reason for not being TL3 is because “Liked Given” and/or “Likes Received” is lacking a small or even bigger number.

So in my forum the “problem” is the reaction plugin and people liking the reaction emojis better than only the heart for the built-in likes.

Now I know what the “problem” is. But is tweaking the values here is the proper solution? I think that interacting (“liking”) posts is important and as I mentioned above, just adjusting the default values do not make sense here. Because interacting with other emojis is the same for the user and has the same importance for the community and also should be treated the same. If that would be the case, the default settings perfectly make sense.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Also thank you for that, I will try later in the evening. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First and may be correct thought is to reduce the threshold for qualifying likes to receive.

Yeah, very much a proper one. You can always experiment with those until you fine-tune the formula of yours. In addition to that, admin can trigger promotion job via Sidekiq to try the changes right now without waiting default daily job to do it sometime later. The job name is Jobs::Tl3Promotions

In any case, if you feel like you got too many TL3 users for some or another reason, you can always:

• Raise the thresholds back to whatever/default values
  • Decrease the tl3 promotion min duration period to how quick you want to get rid of excessive mass of TL3 users
  • Trigger the sidekiq job manually (optional)

You may have a point, sure, and there are certainly others who support this idea. But you never know when this may/will get rolled out to future versions and have a lot of time to experiment with TL3 settings and group members :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I thought it might be helpful to post how it looks in my forum using the report of @ganncamp - here it is:

As you can see: For 10 of my 20 TL2 users it only has to do with the likes and almost no other values. And as I follow all topics and posts closely at the moment I know that my users are giving more reactions than likes.

Sorry, that was not well written and easily to misunderstand. I meant that half of the TL2 users lack likes and almost nothing else, as explained above.

I still do not think that this is the correct solution. Or in other words and more open: This is a valid and good solution for many forums. But also for as many forums, it is not.

So I still think the best would be to have an option to cound the reactions. 1:1 or with a certain percentage, choosing the reactions which should count at all and which not (to not count negative reactions as well).

4 Likes