How to add parent categories?

I can see the stock parent categories as admin and could not figure out how to add more parent categories to my website.

Thanks to all of you for a wonderful community.

If you visit your categories page (community.example.com/categories) there’s a new category button in the menu on the right

3 Likes

Hello Kris, Thanks a ton.

I got it.

I did that and when I do so, it shows box called “category Name” and then asks us to select from a dropdown in parent category. Went ahead and made the new category and selected uncategorised in dropdown. it formed a “new” parent category

1 Like

Try leaving the parent category setting blank.

4 Likes

I tried to leave it blank and I get an error message that looks like this. Any advice?

1 Like

When you created the new category, leave the Parent Category set to the default (no category). That will create a new top-level Parent Category.
If you change it to Uncategorized as the above poster did, you’ll be creating a subcategory in the Uncategorized parent category.

The Security setting has to have a group entered for access to the new category, the default being everyone. You can change the settings for who you want to have access (See, Reply, Create (new topics within the category).

If you inadvertently made the new category as a subcategory to a parent category where the group everyone doesn’t have permission to See, Reply, Create, you can remedy that by going back to the settings for it, change the Parent Category to ```(no category), and check the settings for groups - “everyone” is considered a group. Make sure they have whatever permissions you want.

1 Like