How to delete a category?

I found several search results for this questions, but none of them answered to my question.

In traditional forum software you delete/configure in the admin panel.

In Discourse, as I understood, creating is done on the page were you click on Categories from the Top page.
I can’t figure out how to remove a category name, I don’t see the remove button…

Thanks.

1 Like

If you can delete the category, there should be a red “delete this category” button on the bottom right corner. On the other hand, if you can’t delete the category, then there will be the reason why you can’t.

2 Likes

Go to a category, like `http://discourse.example.org/c/foocategory``

Find the “Edit” button in the top right and click it.

In the bottom right of the pop-up screen you’ll find the delete-button, if the category is ready for deletion that is. If the category still holds topics or sub-categories, you may not delete it until they’re all moved elsewhere or also deleted.

2 Likes

If you click on the “list” icon near the upper left

checkboxes will appear next to the topics. After you check one or more of them a “wrench” icon will appear near the upper right. If you click that, you will have the option to “change category” (move) or delete the topics (and a few other choices).

AFAIK - untested - once the category is devoid of topics it can then be deleted.