How to make contributing to Meta more enjoyable?

Are you open to hiring more people? Off of the top of my head, I can think of a few more active contributors here. They would make for great employees at CDCK.

1 Like

We are hiring, yes – but not for moderation roles here on Meta. One full time CM is plenty. Remember that he only began in the role one week ago so there will be some time while he gets to everything.

10 Likes

Some polite gestures, nothing else:

• everytime someone leaves bug-notice or feature-request someone from the team will react
  • after some decent time, like two weeks max, someone from team will give short notice what is happening or tell why nothing is happening

That’s it. There is no need to try fullfill every requests and some are de facto waste of time or way too difficult, but you can’t leave things hanging. Simple reactions gives an image that the team is listening and even caring what happends on community side.

Quite often you do that, I give that. But there is still too many open cases — some are because OP didn’t give more details or just vanished, but some are abandonded without any notice by the team.

It should connect to your policy. I don’t know how you guys are working, but when some is assigned, he/she will drop those couple words. Well, you know what I mean :wink:

Otherwise… no one can’t please everyone. But you guys are more under spotlight than we regular ones. That’s, for example, why passive aggressive acting from, like, my side is different thing than from your side — you can silence me, I can silence you only leaving Meta.

I don’t say the team is bad mouthing :rofl: That was only an example to show that you must be carefully.

Well, I’m finish with this topic. The team don’t have any bigger issues, that few hearts and couple words could fix (and more user friendly composer :rofl: seriously — Discourse needs more minimalistic composer, but that is totally different thing, sorry…)

Should we target us users too? Because honestly, users here are quite often more problematic than the team ever.

4 Likes

I do spend some time triaging this list:

https://meta.discourse.org/c/feature/2/none?order=op_likes&status=open

I wonder if a hidden issue here is that we should experiment with the voting plugin on meta on the #feature category. Stuff tends to get buried in this category, perhaps giving better visibility to popular ideas would be helpful, then the community can help lift more good ideas up (by refining the OP, giving more votes and so on) and we can enforce some rules that “Discourse will always officially respond to a topic with more than N votes”

Looking at the size of the big well, I think it is pretty practical for us to give some sort of response on all the 10+ vote count, I think most of the 10+ already have a staff response. Then if we manage 10+ we can work down to 5+ and so on.

I also find #ux to be extra tricky cause it lives somewhere between #feature and #bug. I wonder if this category is helping vs hindering?

#support though is working super great, #bug is as well imo.

20 Likes

There is a thing called tag :smile:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist temptation. But #ux isn’t any high volume category, I reckon (and from my point of view it is a bit strange because UX/UI is the most important part after good base code; there isn’t any bigger issues, though)

But that is more matter of structure or organization than making Meta more enjoyable — finding stuff easily is somekind enjoy perhaps. But it can and will make your guy’s job easier… unless it is hindering your everyday living of course.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea.

Although the last weeks I did consider suggesting to add #install-support and #update-support as subcategories there, since those two topics are polluting the category a bit, making the “functional support” topics less prominent than they might deserve.

8 Likes

#bug isn’t working well at all.

We have the ludicrous situation that nobody from the @team can :heart: a post in #bug
because it triggers the bug_reporter_badge SQL.

The answer is really easy -

1. Create a small subset group of @team explicitly to award the badge.
    Or …
  2. Create a special badge giving ‘user’ to impersonate in it’s own group then anyone from the team would be free to :heart: in #bug
    Update the badge SQL to take team out of the query.

I’m contemplating writing a post in this thread to explain the real world circumstances of my life at the moment.
How I had decided being invested in Discourse Enthusiast’s Training was by best course of action in desperate times and how something as stupid as having a few posts in #bug being ignored was a real life gut punch.

Sorry but I don’t agree with this, not at all. We like bugs as they come in and the badge is a welcome side effect.

The badge is certainly not holding me back from liking bugs.

Feel free to go through this list looking at last 30 days: bug - Discourse Meta

Find 10 instances where the team liked the first post … 10 instances where the team did not like the first post but really should have.

10 Likes

Fortunately I’ve been a been a ‘user’ here long enough not to waste my time doing that if a co-owner is so emphatic. :hear_no_evil: Taking the dogs out for a walk instead.
Have a good day.

This is entering non productive areas, putting this topic on ice for 30 days

Thanks all for contributing but it is sadly getting too heated for my liking and too unfocused

18 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 26 days.

what an interesting topic. :thinking:

my feelings are that if you do not enjoy contributing to Meta then it’s just not for you. i personally find it very rewarding to support other folks here on meta in their pursuit of solutions. altruistic problem solving is my DNA. i know first hand how busy the Discourse team are and how hard they work to provide support and service. if you have been on this site participating for any length of period that should be obvious. :slight_smile:

myself, i try to read every topic and at least acknowledge each unread one (with a like or comment) if it hasn’t been already, but i haven’t been around all that long, only since the start of this year really. i like reading all the topics TBH besause it’s a learning experience. it is unfortunate when a user has a negative experience looking for help, i always take that personally and try to think of what could have been improved or done to avoid it. however, i think making a topic and attacking the team with passive aggressive statements seems counter-intuitive to the sort of respect, patience and positive approach that is required to partake in the support of any collective project or team.

i’ve seen users post again in their own topics here to get help and that’s perfectly ok. go ahead and bump your own topic or ask for help again. on my forum i’m not always able to help users right away and i have no problem with them nagging me or asking again if i for some reason do not acknowledge their issue. i’ve had users flag one of my posts to get my attention lol and i’m ok with that.

also @JammyDodger and @Canapin have been outstanding in their community moderator roles here since i have been around on Meta, and they have been invaluable to my own learning and enjoyment. thank you :slight_smile:

9 Likes

For the record, I made this topic. :raising_hand_man: So any criticisms or feedback was by my invitation. :slight_smile:

It was my third day on the job and I think it took a few people by surprise. :slight_smile: But I actually found the conversation really useful, both good and bad.

Looking back over it a year later is very interesting as well. Notably, there are a number of original contributors who now have the Team flair :discourse: when they didn’t before. :slight_smile: (@Canapin @keegan @mcwumbly). I don’t know if that skews the reading of it for anyone coming to it new, but it’s probably worth drawing attention to on the off-chance it does.

But to the main thrust of it, I hope I’ve put in a solid effort this past year to keep Meta an enjoyable place to contribute and get support when you need it. :crossed_fingers: There’s a lot going on, and a lot to keep up with (sometimes a brain-melting torrent of stuff :melting_face:), and I realise that I’m not perfect - but hopefully, when all things are tallied, I edge into a positive score. :slight_smile:

Either way, I’m definitely banking this as a win. :slight_smile: :trophy:

10 Likes

how did i miss that
:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I didn’t re-read the topic entirely, but I think “contributing” could be considered wider than originally intended here. Asking for help is a valid form of contribution. Thus the original question could be split into several variations.

• How to make asking for help more enjoyable?

• How to make helping people more enjoyable?

• How to make giving feedback more enjoyable?

• How to make Discourse-related development more enjoyable?

And so on…

Answers may be different for each :slight_smile:

5 Likes

that’s an excellent point. one’s motivations and reasons for being here as well as their relative points of view are certainly factors that would affect experiences here. obviously someone being in a critical situation with a downed server and screaming users is going to have immediate support needs, expectations, and a state of mind that are much different than say, some person who can’t quite figure out a snippet of code for customizing a sidebar (hello me).

3 Likes

I agree with the aim of turning this around into seeking positive change.

However…

The two negatives which stand out for me, and I think match the OP’s experience, are on the one hand silence, and the other hand hostility. It’s not that one always sees them, but when one does see them, it’s demotivating and unwelcoming.

Sadly, I believe I see the hostility most often from very senior people, which is an extra negative. In “hostility” I include things which feel to me dismissive and patronising.

I can think of some likely causes which are not necessarily character flaws:

• commenting while annoyed or under time pressure
  • seeing something one has seen many times before
  • feeling the project is one’s own territory and responding accordingly
  • saying things briefly and not realising they may be read as curt or rude
10 Likes

Is that what you mean?

I now try to alleviate this by reviewing posts that haven’t been answered.
Either by trying to bring my :older_man: knowledge, or knowing I don’t have the answer but will gently bump the topic in a meaningful way, or asking if someone in the team has an idea.

I should do that more often, though.

4 Likes

Yes, no reply to an urgent support topic, happened to me once. But visiting the forum, I get the impression of quite a few no-response topics. Having you on board and intending to pick them up is a good thing.

4 Likes