How to mass inform all users about the new terms of conditions?

Main purpose is to inform all the users about “significant changes to the terms of service” by email, to be compliant with legal obligations.

We have added the clause, “For updates that contain substantial changes, the company agrees to e-mail you”, so we must send an email.

I understand receiving emails can be annoying for the user. However as admins we have to send legal emails to all users once in a while.

I noticed the csv file can be used to download the user emails and send the emails manually. Usual mail service providers have limitations of max number of recipients which can be added for a single email. That makes the whole list to be divided into many sub sets and send the same email many times. Wastes time and we even can miss some recipients through human errors.

I noticed there is another way mentioned here, which utilises a seperate category and making the users to watch it by default. However, the issue is users can unsubscribe from it, which makes the user to not to receive both on-site notification and email notification about the TOS change.

They can even argue that they did not receive the “significant change” through an official medium like an email.

What are your thoughts of informing the significant changes of TOS to all users to be compliance with legal obligations?

1 Like

This is a job for a bulk email service. You definitely don’t want to try to bcc: all your users via a regular email account.

There are dozens of bulk providers out there that let you upload your list, design an email, set the “from” and “reply-to” addresses, and go.

Depending on the size of your list, this might be free or might cost a few bucks. Many providers have a free tier for 1000 to 3000 recipients or messages/month. I like CampaignMonitor for this kind of occasional use, because they offer a pay-per-campaign rate (currently $5/campaign, +.01 per address) that you can use without a monthly subscription.

Note that these bulk emails will also include an “unsubscribe” link. The best you can do is send the emails, and keep the campaign log/report. You can’t force people to receive them.

3 Likes