How to set Original Post as Solution

Sometimes a user posts a query, then subsequently resolves it themselves, and edits their post showing resolved. How can an admin/moderator show this one post as Solved?

2 Likes

Are you using the Solved plugin on your site?

1 Like

Yes, and we use it to good effect. However there needs to be more than one post in a thread to use Solution. I am trying to do this with the one post, rather than having to create a dummy reply.

1 Like

Ah sorry, I didn’t understand the question properly. At the moment there is no way to mark more than one post as solved, so your best bet is probably to try and change behaviour with nudges when it happens.

1 Like

Maybe I am not being clear. I am not trying to mark more than one post as solved.

When a user posts one post as a new topic, then indicates in the same post that it is resolved, how can I show this as a Solution, all in the same single post.

I guess I can add a post, so that I can then indicate their post is also a solution, but I am trying to do it all in the one initial post.

2 Likes

You would need the second post to be able to mark that one as a solution. It’s not currently possible to have a solved topic that consists of only the OP.

Manually cutting and pasting the edited portion with the solution into a second post would be the best workaround if you wanted to keep a strict ‘Solved’ format for every case.

You can change ownership of the second post you add to reflect the answer being from the right person, which also allows you to avoid quoting (which would be stripped out of the embedded solution that’s added to the OP).

2 Likes

Yup, that’s your best option. Quote the solution that they edited into a new post and then mark it as solved.

2 Likes

I marked that last post as a solution to test, not to be facetious. :laughing:

1 Like

Don’t quote it, cut and paste it into a new post directly and then Change Ownership of that post. :slightly_smiling_face: That way it keeps the correct formatting when marked as a solution and is embedded in the OP.

2 Likes

That’s one way of doing it, but I wouldn’t. It hides the process so people don’t learn.

If you quote, explain how to do it correctly in the future, and mark as solved, you kill 2 birds. Remember that what you’re trying to do here is change behaviour.

4 Likes

Thank you both for your suggestions. Fortunately the situation doesn’t occur often. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Obviously you can pick your poison :slight_smile:, but I think properly displaying what it should look like in those cases serves as the best example, and you can still leave a message saying what’s happened. eg:

versus

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.