How to take backup of Discourse hourly in a day

Hi,

Could you please help on below:

1. How to take backup of Discourse hourly in a day. Is it possible to do it from “/admin/site_settings/category/backups” ? or should check PostgreSQL backup mechanism?

2. Can you confirm - what ever back ups created under “admin/backups” is only just Database Backup or entire Discourse backup ?

Thank you.

You can view all Backup related settings at Admin > Settings > Backups and modify the backup frequency setting to enable daily backups.

These backups will contain all your Discourse data, this thread will have some more pointers:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. I have already configured the automatic back up Discourse data every day.

But, I would like to take back up of Discourse multiple times in a day. Example: For every 2 hours or 6 hours in a day. How can this be achieved ?

Thank you.

I would use WEBMIN for something like that,
They have a BACKUP area that you can adjust times and dates and restore and backup sites.

How would webmin trigger Discourse to perform a backup?

1 Like

Can any one please let me know, if it possible to take back up of Discourse multiple times in a day. Example: For every 2 hours or 6 hours in a day.

That’s not supported using a simple admin setting.

You will need to roll your own pg_dump and uploads script for that.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the response. I will try with pg_dump as suggested.

Hi,

I have one question on Discourse back up:

What ever backups that we see at Admin > Settings > Backups: is it included with file system backup also, or is it just database backup alone ?

Thank you.

It doesn’t include app.yml I believe. You should keep a copy of that somewhere safe. Obviously this doesn’t change very much or often.

To recreate your server you generally only need:

• app.yml
  • a back-up of the forum generated by the inbuilt functionality.

It should only take about 30 minutes to recreate the server with these two things available.

Hi @merefield,

Thank you so much for the response.

Ok, so once I recreate the new server with (backup) app.yml and the back-up ( Admin > Settings > Backups), then all the additional settings that were added to UI or any additional (admin) settings in old discourse server will be appearing in new server ? (I mean, the newly created server will be exactly like copy of old server with out any data loss) ?

You will need to repoint your DNS (A record) to your new IP too (if that has changed).

yeah, that point (DNS & IP) will be taken care. Thank you.

1 Like