HTML tags in plaintext digest when missing a translation

Hi,

I subscribed to digests on Discourse instances and read my emails in plaintext. Huge :+1: for having a really usable and readable plaintext version!

However, I recently discovered that some HTML tags were present in the digests when server lacks some translations. For instance, consider the unsubscribe link from the digest, translation is here, but is not available in the French locale.

Resulting email has following content in plaintext:

<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing: fr.user_notifications.digest.unsubscribe">Unsubscribe</span>

with the unsubscribe link reference below. I would have expected it to be something like

Unsubscribe [3]

(where [3] is the reference of the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email body).

Thanks!

1 Like

Not really a bug, its simply a missing french translation see: Contribute a translation to Discourse

I’d disagree with the fact that it is not a bug. The root of the issue, is that there is a missing French translation, which I totally agree with.

But the issue I am reporting extend beyond the missing French translation. The true issue (in my opinion) is that if a translation is missing, plaintext emails get HTML tags in them. The span should be replaced by its content, in the plaintext version, in the case of a missing translation.

Hmm, yeah … that is somewhat odd, we usually fallback to english but not here.

1 Like

The fallback to English is happening, but still the span is there.

<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing: en.user_notifications.digest.unsubscribe">Unsubscribe</span>

Notice the word “Unsubscribe” is there. My site was supposed to be French, but it’s saying that the english translation is missing too… So wrong.

ActiveSupport is trying to be helpful by adding that span, and I don’t see a way to stop it in the case that we’re not using it in HTML…

4 Likes

The path that email notifications goes through changed last year, which might have fixed this? I deleted some french translations and can see the text version of the digest is using english where french strings are missing, and there’s no span html.

This summary is sent from [Localhost][1] when we haven't seen you in a while. Change [vos préférences de courriel][7], or [cliquez ici][8] to unsubscribe.

3 Likes