I Have an Issue With Swap File (2GB) During Installation

Hello,

I am currently having issues with the last step of discourse installation. I got this reply from my from ssh client while trying to enter " ./discourse-setup"

Please what should I do?

From the output you provided it would appear that you have a 1 GB swap file, not a 2 GB one as required by Discourse. I’d suggest disabling the existing swap file by running

swapoff /swapfile

then running

./discourse-setup

again so it can create the 2 GB file. Did you previously set up a 1 GB swap file?

4 Likes

Yes I did set up a 1GB swap file because it was part of the instructions in vultr instruction documentation

1 Like

This? How to Install Discourse on Ubuntu 14.04 - Vultr.com Those docs are pretty outdated: Modified on: Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:32 pm EST

The up-to-date instructions are here:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

3 Likes

I have turned off swap file but am still getting an “insufficient swap space” message.

1 Like

I suggest resetting your VPS with a clean Ubuntu Server 16.04 install and starting over from scratch.

3 Likes

Ok I will try that now. Thanks

1 Like

[quote=“codinghorror, post:6, topic:57028, full:true”]
I suggest resetting your VPS with a clean Ubuntu Server 16.04 install and starting over from scratch.
[/quote]I have done what you said but am still having problem with the swap space stuff. Please what do I do?

The easiest thing would be to use digital ocean.

You could try to create a 2gb swap file yourself. If you do that and are still having trouble, include the output from

free -h
2 Likes