IE 10: Blank page is showing rather not supported message

Hi,

As discourse does not support IE10 so it should be showing “your browser is too old to work on this” message however when user open it in IE10 then page is blank with lot of console error.

Issue: “your browser too old” message not coming on IE10
Expected behavior: Browser upgrade message should show up on top as it come in case of IE9

Steps:

I am attaching screenshot for reference.

It seems an issue with existing discourse, let me know if any other information is required.

Regards,
Tarun

4 Likes

Can repro on BrowserStack, both Meta and try fail to load.

3 Likes

@Tarek_Khalil can you add this to your list? We do not support IE10 but should at least show the correct “browser too old” message we have for other browsers.

6 Likes
  • Looks like that the browser-update.js.erb decides when to show the “browser not supported” message.
  • Looking at browser-update documentation, you specify what browser min versions you support, and it generates for you a snippet which you can use in your website.
  • Our browser-update.js.erb seems to have a liberal approach in deciding which browsers we support based on our own logic.
  • Digging further, looks like this commit has moved away from the standard browser-update browser detection method, and we rolled our quick homebrew. I am curious why :slight_smile:

I wonder if this issue is not only with IE10 but also with others that we not know about, and if so, should we generate a new snippet via browser-update and use it instead of our homebrew code?

… Or perhaps I need more historical context.

8 Likes

Yeah feature detection is the way ito go.

My commit there is good, just amend it so it looks for one more feature we need. Something everyone has except for ie 10

3 Likes

This is fixed now per:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/d4bf7d683117d51ade8f260125a333e28d124876

5 Likes