I'm working to build a "marketplace" on top of Discourse. Would love some suggestions/feedback

It’s been a while since I looked at it, but maybe have a look at Topic Ratings Plugin. The plugin’s README file give a better description of how it works than the Meta topic:

A Discourse plugin that lets you use topics to rate things.

1. Topics can be designated as ‘for rating’, by being posted in a category with ratings setting on (see below), or by being given the tag ‘rating’.
  2. Each ratings topic concerns a single thing (“rating subject”); e.g. a service or a product.
  3. Users rate the rating subject by choosing a star rating when posting (i.e. in the composer).
  4. The average (mean) of all the ratings in the topic is displayed under the topic title and on the relevant topic list item.

This would be interesting for Discourse/Shopify integrations too.

Just a thought, but maybe an Automation could be created that added users to a group when they accepted the TOS. You could configure the marketplace category so that membership in the ‘accepted_tos’ group was required to access the category. There’d be some development needed to set this up: add a checkbox to the TOS page, trigger an Automation when the checkbox is checked, find some way of making it clear to users what they need to do to access the category.

4 Likes