Import CSV User Activity from one Discourse to Another

I participated in a workshop that was hosted in Discourse and I was able to Download All my user activity. In that workshop I was actually developing the concept for our community.createyourownschool.com. I would love to import this user activity into my own Discourse community so that my team can see the project origin and chime in on things I may have forgotten to move forward.

Is it possible to use the CSV file to upload in my Discourse community, and if so, is there some instructions you can point me to.

2 Likes

You want to migrate … what, specifically? Just the topics you created, and your posts on your own topics you created?

Since your user export only includes your posts and your topics, unclear what importing that into another Discourse would actually mean in practice. Can you perhaps describe with an actual real world example to make it a bit more clear?

Is the original site still live? Why don’t you just link each Topic in new Topics on your own site?

I don’t think migrating user activity makes sense unless you import all the data including the original Topics and Posts. There will be unique reference ids unique to that instance so it’s not a trivial import. Sounds like a can of worms!

2 Likes

@codinghorror in the workshop I was participated in we each created one topic and then replied to that for over 100 days. Other people poked at our ideas and we were able to clarify our thinking. When I first looked at the download there was almost 1200 records. I started going through them and deleting things that aren’t important and then I realized I could probably more easily isolate the parts I would really want which are all my responses in that one topic and the 35 other prompts I responded to.

Since this doesn’t sound easy to do then I will likely do a Mail merge into a Word/Google doc and just let my team comment on that to extract the ideas and storytelling language we can use going forward.

@neounix I appreciate this response and hope it may help someone in the future but I’m not that much of a tech person.

@merefield The original site is a private workshop space and so it will disappear in a few days as it just officially ended on 12/31.

1 Like

You should be able to isolate those topics in a single (or a few) categories and use the battle tested Topic and Category Export/Import export category feature.

4 Likes

In some particular scenarios this can make sense, it’s something we want to support, so thanks for the additional detail!

One of the founding principles of Discourse is that users deserve portability of their own data, no matter what. :bowing_man:

4 Likes

@Falco

I’m not sure if this is possible. I’m bringing in a friend @craigconstantine who may know how to do so, and if so, might be willing to assist me.

@codinghorror that’s awesome.

1 Like

…I’m not sure where you have CYOS (her community) hosted. That exp/inport mentioned by @Falco looks like a command line tool. I’ve never played with that (I’m on Hosted Discourse, so no command-line access for me.)

1 Like

@craigconstantine I use DiscourseHosting.com . I don’t know how to do what they are suggesting and if you don’t either then I’m just going to copy and paste pieces in a little at a time. Thanks.

We can do the category import for you.

But that requires a category export which is not the same as the export of your user data.

You could ask the owner of the original forum if they would be willing and able to provide you with a category export.

IIRC that would also contain the user profiles of other users who participated there (and that would end up in your forum as well). I am not sure if that is something you (or those users, or the owner of the other forum) want.

My estimate is that in this specific case it is easier / less work to manually copy/paste the contents.

2 Likes

@michaeld thanks for the reply. The original site has been taken down now. I do think the copy/paste will be the best way.

1 Like