In private chats AI uses threads

An AI persona can chat. When used in private chats it uses threads even we don’t have threads in use. In public category based channels it answers normally. Threads confuses me and users, and… we all dislike threading in chat very strongly.

I tried ask what should I do (thanks Sam):

Deactivating Chat Channel Threads for Simplified Communication AI

Jagster:

Chat channel is using threads. How do I stop it?

gpt-4o:

Searching site settings

Found 83 results for 'chat, thread'

Look up site setting context

Reading context for: ai_helper_automatic_chat_thread_title

To stop the chat channel from using threads automatically, you need to disable the ai_helper_automatic_chat_thread_title setting. This setting controls whether the chat thread titles are set automatically based on the thread contents.

Here’s how you can disable it:

1. Log in to your Discourse site as an admin.
  2. Navigate to the Admin Settings:
    • Click on the gear icon in the top right corner to access the admin settings.
  3. Search for the Setting:
    • In the admin settings, use the search bar to find the setting named ai_helper_automatic_chat_thread_title.
  4. Disable the Setting:
    • Once you find the ai_helper_automatic_chat_thread_title setting, set it to “False” to disable the automatic titling of chat threads.

This should prevent the chat channel from using threads automatically.

For further details about this setting, you can refer to the Discourse AI plugin documentation or visit the Discourse Meta forum for more in-depth information.

Reference:

Would you like assistance with anything else?

sam1:

wow… this is so wrong :frowning:

gpt-4o:

I apologize for the mistake. It seems I misunderstood your query initially. Let’s clarify your requirement and find the correct solution.

Question Clarification: Do you want to disable threading entirely within a specific chat channel, or are you looking to turn off a feature related to AI-generated thread titles or something else?

Additionally, it would be helpful to know if you are using a specific Chat Plugin or integration within your Discourse instance.

Please provide more context so that we can assist you accurately.

sam1:

disable threading on a specific chat channel

gpt-4o:

Searching

Searching for: disable threading on a specific chat channel in Discourse

Reading

Read: Discourse Chat

To disable threading on a specific chat channel in Discourse, you need to adjust the channel’s settings. Here’s how you can do it:

2. Access the Chat Settings:
    • Navigate to the speech bubble icon in the header to access the chat interface.
  3. Manage Channels:
    • Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the Full Screen Chat window to access Chat settings.
  4. Select the Channel:
    • From the list of channels displayed, choose the specific channel where you want to disable threading.
  5. Channel Settings:
    • Once you are in the settings for the specific channel, look for options related to threading and disable them accordingly. Unfortunately, Discourse documentation does not provide a specific toggle for threading, but if threading is enabled via a plugin or customization, it might be found and disabled here.

If you do not find an explicit option to disable threading, it might be necessary to look into any plugins or custom codes that enable threading for chat channels. You may need to disable or adjust settings through those means.

For further assistance, you can refer to the Discourse Chat Plugin Documentation or seek help on the Meta Discourse support forum.

Would you like details on checking plugins or something more specific?

sam1:

is there any setting for “by default all channels have threads” or the inverse?

gpt-4o:

Searching site settings

Found 0 results for 'chat_channel_threading'

Searching

Searching for: default chat channel threading settings in Discourse

Reading

Read: Exploring features in Discourse Chat

Based on the search results and the Discourse Chat documentation, there doesn’t appear to be a specific setting that controls whether threading is enabled by default for all channels or the inverse within Discourse Chat.

However, you can manage threading settings for individual channels by accessing the channel’s settings. If threading is enabled by a plugin or customization, you might find specific settings there.

Here’s how to manage chat channel settings in general:

2. Access the Chat Interface:
    • Click the speech bubble icon in the header to enter the chat interface.
  3. Manage Channels:
    • Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the Full Screen Chat window to access Chat settings. If this icon is not visible, hover over the Channels header to reveal it.
  4. Select the Channel:
    • From the list of channels displayed, choose the specific channel you want to configure.
  5. Configure Channel Settings:
    • Adjust various settings for the channel, such as notification preferences, retention periods, and permissions.

Since there is no built-in setting specifically named “chat_channel_threading” or similar, it’s likely that any threading behavior may depend on specific configurations or custom plugins.

For detailed documentation on Discourse Chat configurations, you can refer to the Discourse Chat Documentation and Exploring features in Discourse Chat.

If you need further assistance with disabling threading or identifying custom configurations, reaching out to Discourse support or the Meta forum community might provide more targeted help.

Because the bot didn’t have any clue what so ever I jumped off. Sam followed with some… diagnostic questions.

Is using threads in-build feature in AI personas? And could it be disabled?

I know I disabled threads, but now I can’t find such option anywhere.

one stupid test I made

We have one private group chat. An user wanted to ask something from AI, but of course it couldn’t answer — it is a private chat after all.

So I did what every good admins would do and fulfilled that request by adding the bot in the chat. Bad mistake, because it answers to everyone everytime without mentioning it. Well, that is expected behaviour.

But because we can’t kick out members from chat channes, I was in little trouble. Just little, because I as an admin have tools to pretend to be an user, so problem solved.

I put this inside details-block because this in more pointless chitchat than beeing on topic, and we should have only one question per topic, but…

Is it possible or techninally too difficult to give ability to mention an AI in private chats too?

Oh this is not configurable, it would get very messy without threads, but I guess if you really really want it I don’t mind making it an option.

2 Likes

Yes, I really really want :smirk: And more important: I need it. And by I means my community needs it.

But about that mess I disagree. It isnt’t any messier than PM. Or how humans are chatting.

It may be a mess if used in private group chats, that’s true, but I don’t think that either. Humans are chatting without threads and it works.

Plus when an AI answers in public channels via mention it works there too without threads.

But because some needs threads (when discussion is more topic style) and some are doing just chatting, then a setting for that would be an elegant solution.

I would say the complication here is where does one conversation start and another one stop? It is just one giant stream of back and forth with the bot in 1000 different topics?

That is true with active and big chats, like yours I would guess. But I’m not sure if that is general reality? But again, if forums have ability to choose, per channel would be the best working option but forum wide would work too, that would be acceptable too.

The issue with threads is it forces jumping here, there and everywhere and an user must remember to answer to message, not in channel. Same question that with posts in topic, but there that isn’ any issue because it is flat. On other side, topics are quite same thing than a chat message, but UI is fundamentally different.

Sure, it leads another setting and we have already a lot of settings everywhere. It isn’t a nightmare yet, but can be at some point.

But as one of my users said: she wants to see and read everything and with threads she must jump in and out and quite fast she is totally lost what she had red and where she is.

I’m totally sure that more… organized and more flow chart minded users, as devs :smirk:, like threads, but ordinary non-tech ones who haven’t ever used Discord etc? Not that much.