"In reply to" links no longer work

I’m a regular user on a particular Discourse forum, and recently the “in reply to” links in the top right of posts have stopped working.

For example, clicking on “Island_Pilot” in the post below does nothing (other than briefly causing the arrow to make a “refresh”-like motion).

A number of users of the forum have reported the same issue.

I don’t know if this applies on the mobile app, but it definitely does on desktop browsers. (I’ve been able to replicate the issue on Chromium, Firefox, and Brave.)

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Thanks!

1 Like

Was the post deleted?

This happens to me over on the gimkit forum, but only when it is deleted, or flagged/taken down by a moderator.

2 Likes

Hey @gurtz
Welcome to Meta :wave:

Are you sure that the post to which RetireEarly replied was not deleted?

For example, you will see the same behavior here New sidebar design on tablets - #9 by Moin because the post I replied to was deleted

5 Likes

Thanks @bob_the_tomato and @Moin for the replies.

No, the posts (being replied to) have not been deleted or flagged. It seems to literally be every post with an “in reply to” where this happens. It’s not limited to just one or two cases.

But the behavior I’m seeing does seem to be the same as what is seen with the “New sidebar design” post @Moin referenced above.

On mobile (android) this works

Thanks. That’s not what I’m referring to, though. The “share post” feature works fine. It’s the “in reply to” link (to the left of “share post”) that doesn’t work.

Is the topic where you noticed the behavior public?

No, unfortunately not.

Okay that is not share post(guess it will s also a shared post label). That is reply to post creating a new topic

Clicking on your reply icon to the left of “share post” takes me to your post that I replied to

Maybe I’m confused with the terminology. But to be clear, I’m talking about clicking “gurtz” in the image below.

On this forum it works and shows the “replied to” post in-lined above the post. (I can’t show a second image in this post, as I’m a new user.)

But on the private forum I’m a member of it doesn’t work.

1 Like

That must be a desktop thing only then. When I click on gurtz on mobile it takes me to your post I replied to.

1 Like

Actually, it works for me too on this forum. But not on the private forum I’m a member of.

I think it is more likely an issue with the specific forum.
But since we know nothing about the version, configuration of related settings, installed plugins, … it is very difficult to find out what caused this.

2 Likes

Thanks @Moin. I do think it’s probably an issue with the specific forum.

What would you suggest for getting to the bottom of this? Can this post be turned into a Bug report?

Find the steps to reproduce the issue and share them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

contact the admin of that forum and tell them.

3 Likes

I just know here on Meta clicking on the username just right of the time/date only moves me up to the post I replied to. No reply option.

I have the feeling that there is a misunderstanding.
No one expects it to open a composer for replying. But when an avatar and username are shown, it indicates that this post is a reply to another post. And usually, when you click that, like here at Meta, you see the post to which the post replies. The problem is that this doesn’t work on another private forum, and @gurtz tries to find out why.

4 Likes

Exactly! You described the situation very well, @Moin.

2 Likes