Insert Date Timezone is always UTC ; my Timezone is ignored

When I create a date with “Insert Date” Button it creates something like

[date=2019-08-20 time=20:00:00 timezone="Europe/Berlin"]

I’m on Timezone Europe/Berlin. But, the html result shows “22:00” instead of “20:00”.

When I change the generated code to:

[date=2019-08-20 time=20:00:00 timezone=Europe/Berlin]

it works like a charm.

Here at meta.discourse.org it works correctly. My forum is at v2.4.0.beta2 +316

Thanks

1 Like

Let’s try here, I’m in France, but it’s the same TZ

[date=2019-08-20 time=20:00:00 timezone="Europe/Paris"]

2019-08-20T18:00:00Z

[date=2019-08-20 time=20:00:00 timezone=Europe/Paris]

2019-08-20T18:00:00Z

results in

Did you reconfigure your server time/time zone away from UTC?

Yes, as I wrote here it works. I guess it is something in the diff from the version here to mine. I remember that it already worked before a couple of updates I made.

1 Like

No, it is still UTC.

What’s your browser? It’s not related to your server, but is YOUR computer clock correctly configured?

1 Like

I tested Firefox and Chrome/Chromium on Windows, Linux and Android. On each browser it is the same behavior. Oh and my clock is always Europe/Berlin.

Can you try this in the console of a browser currently browsing a discourse forum:

moment.tz.guess()
2 Likes

says: "Europe/Berlin"

at my forum as well as at meta.discourse.org

Ok will investigate in the next days, thanks for info.

3 Likes

I am having the exact same issue! Without quotes it works like a charm. But the Discourse Editor always creates “Europe/Berlin” instead of Europe/Berlin - and in preview it shows wrong time then. Can this be fixed?

2 Likes

I still have no repro whatever I try on chrome or firefox. Need to dig more.

4 Likes

I had this issue on Safari, didn’t try chrome/firefox yet.

Any Updates on this Issue?

I have the same behaviour as mentioned above. As soon as I leave out the “” it all works fine. But when I use them the system seems to take the UTC +/- the hours of the timezone my client runs in.

Btw. the same occurs here when I write nonsense in the timezone like:
[date=2019-08-20 time=20:00:00 timezone="nonsense"]
or
[date=2019-08-20 time=20:00:00 timezone=nonsense]
2019-08-20T20:00:00Z

1 Like

I also state the exact same problem. It more or less seems to be an issue with “German” installations.

Well, fun fact, I tried to reset settings by running domain.de/wizard there I changed the locale to English US and walked through the complete wizard. With English setting I can paste times and they are shown correctly. Well is say for example Tomorrow 11:15 PM (Europe/Berlin) but I really putted 23:15 in German time. So it is displayed correctly.

When I wizard my forum back to “Deutsch” and pasting a new appointment with time … then the + 1 hour effect comes back again. (The times pasted in English setup are still displayed right).

So this does not seem to be a server time thing. Something seems to crash between localization of Europe and UTC.

Happy to test or give more advice if needed.

Running discourse in docker.

THX for further assistance!

2 Likes

Little addition, I realized a ¿small? difference, between my installation and this official one.

We deactivated the “allow user locale” option. So users are not able to change language by themselves. I don not know if this is helpful.

What is about the others that experienced the same problems, namely @Daniel_Tesla @lorddevil, @zogstrip @hewo7 can your users change their interface locale settings. Or in german under Settings › General Settings: allow user locale: “Erlaube Benutzern, ihre eigene Oberflächensprache zu wählen”

• allow user locale acitive
  • allow user locale inactive

0 voters

2 Likes

It’s weird that the current locale would affect the timezone :thinking:

@joffreyjaffeux did you fix this by any chances with your recent fixes?

1 Like

I would be happy to give further assistance for tests and debugging if necessary. If some from the team wants to get a closer look into the topic.

No I will give it a look tomorrow

3 Likes

This should be fixed by:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/3d1b6b6729eab386f5e7f2c786fd521c37fd8f05

:tada: Thanks for info

More context, it seems like that when Discourse instance is set to german locale, we will replace quotes " by german quotes „“ which was breaking our parser.

@gerhard I made a fix directly into local-dates for now, do you think we should try to fix it higher in the chain?

• parseBBCodeTag itself before sending the matched string?
  • in pretty text?
6 Likes