Installing Discourse with digest_md5 mail authentication

Hi,

We’re trying to setup Discourse and are having problems setting up the mail part. Our mail server only supports digest_md5 and we’re trying to make Discourse use that authentication.

We found that Discouse uses http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionMailer/Base.html to send mails and that this mailer support 3 authentication methods:

:authentication - If your mail server requires authentication, you need to specify the authentication type here. This is a symbol and one of :plain (will send the password Base64 encoded), :login (will send the password Base64 encoded) or :cram_md5 (combines a Challenge/Response mechanism to exchange information and a cryptographic Message Digest 5 algorithm to hash important information)

So: plain, login et cram_md5

Is there a way to have Discourse authenticate against a mail server accepting digest_md5?

Thanks

I think “login” is what you’re looking for. Have you tried that?

1 Like

Yes we have tried this authentication method. We first got the following

Apr 14 11:43:29 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17754]: lost connection after STARTTLS from discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]
Apr 14 11:43:29 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17754]: disconnect from discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]
Apr 14 11:43:29 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17756]: lost connection after STARTTLS from discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]

So I have changed the value of DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS to false in the discourse app.yml file and I rebuiled it. Then, we got the following in our postfix server logs:

Apr 14 12:02:30 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17754]: connect from discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]
Apr 14 12:02:30 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17754]: warning: discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: Invalid authentication mechanism
Apr 14 12:02:30 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17754]: lost connection after AUTH from discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]
Apr 14 12:02:30 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[17754]: disconnect from discourse.xxxx[XX.XXX.XX.XX]
1 Like

Thanks for your reply @zogstrip ! I’ve let Kevin reply since he’s the one who did the setup.

1 Like