Insufficient trust level to connect here via the mobile app?

(Andy White) #1

And comes back with Sorry, you do not have the required trust level to access the user API

Appreciate your help in understanding how I can post to the web version, but not be trusted to connect via my phone?

Thanks in advance

(David Taylor) #2

This is because you have not yet reached “trust level 1”

In the admin panel, you can change the setting min trust level for user api key to 0 if you want everyone to be able to use the app.

(Andy White) #3

Many thanks David, Very helpful

I would suggest that Discourse Admin do this!

Or tweaks the trust level 1 setting. See my suggestion below
Basic (1)

If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, Discourse now trusts them as a basic user.

They can get to trust level 1 by…

entering at least 1 topics
reading at least 5 posts
spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
Admins can change these thresholds in…

basic_requires_topic_entered
basic_requires_read_posts
basic_requires_time_spent_mins
Users at trust level 1 can…

use all core Discourse functions
Upload images and attachments if enabled
Edit wiki posts
Flag posts
have all new user restrictions removed

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Beware, if you change TL1 levels you become extremely vulnerable to spammers. I strongly recommend you do not do that.

We won’t be doing it here for that reason, as well.

I guess it is mostly safe to allow API keys for new users? But this means spammers can sign up, and get an API user key as well. @sam in your professional opinion how risky is it for a site owner to allow API user keys for TL0 users?

(Sam Saffron) #5

Not that risky, the protocol is quite involved in getting a key, if you can script that you can easily script spamming the site elsewise.

(Andy White) #6

Thanks Jeff and Sam for taking the time to respond

Not sure if I made it clear, I am trying to connect to meta.discourse on my iPhone via the app (using my Twitter account) and getting the Sorry, you do not have the required trust level.

Yet I can log in to the web version (using same Twitter account)… and post away.

Apologies for being a non techie, but I do not get the inconsistency between the web level of trust and the app level of trust??

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Sure, then you will need to achieve TL1 here, just read a bit more.

(Andy White) #8

Read some more…and here I am posting from the iPhone-:slight_smile:

Thanks your help
We will be installing Discourse for our Long Form discussion

(Régis Hanol) #9