Integration into custom auth system where emails are not unique?

@simon @supermathie You two have been incredibly helpful so far, I’m hoping I can step slightly out of the scope of the thread and ask for some followup help?

I’ve installed Discourse on a local machine for testing, using Install Discourse for development using Docker as my guide. I couldn’t seem to find any other guides on how to set it up for local testing? The wiki seems to only go over production setups, which requires having your domain/DNS/SMTP already set up. We did not want to expose the forum to the public until everything was implemented on our side, so we needed local testing where none of this was required.

I’ve got it up and running using that guide, and implemented the SSO on a local instance of our site, but I’ve run into 2 issues so far:

1. The redirection to return_sso_url only seems to half work? In my case the URL is http://localhost:3000/session/sso_login. It does redirect successfully, however after the initial redirect it sends me to http://localhost:3000, which just displays the error RuntimeError: Discourse does not support compiling scss/sass files via Sprockets. The only thread I could find about this error is Error when building: discourse does not support compiling scss/sass files via sprockets, but that didn’t really seem to go anywhere. The OP did not accept any solution, and the only thing that happened was asking about RAM and swap sizes (the machine this is running on has 32gb of RAM and 2gb swap. So I doubt this is the issue?)
  2. avatar_force_update seems to not be respected? Or at least, not for admin users? I have enabled discourse connect overrides avatar in the site settings, and in the SSO response payload I am setting both avatar_url and avatar_force_update. But when logging in to the admin account (which is linked to my external account) it does not show my external profile picture? I can see that external_avatar_url is being set correctly when checking the admin user’s data through the API, it just doesn’t seem to be getting used in the UI?