Introducing Discourse Chat (BETA)

Access to the chat follows the same access as categories. So if you create a category and group, and create chats inside it, only the players in the group will be able to access them.

I also plan on using it for TTRPGs. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Difficulty customizing chat

Understanding your particular use. If I am not mistaken you could use group permissions in Categories as mentioned.

And I think you can setup private chats and only have members of the rpg group invited to maintain secrets. Ie group of Dungeon Masters etc…

With using categories to implement chats I imagine a plugin could be used.

3 Likes

From my understanding a chat channel is a Category similar to how Babblechat(broken plugin)

So when you create a Category in permissions you delete
“Everyone. See/Create/Reply”
Add group permission
“Dmaster. See/Create/Reply”
Only members added to Dmaster Group will see the Abive chat category say call ut something like “DMaster Resource”

1 Like

A critically important enhancement, glad to see it being prirotized. We live a world where content is so real-time - chat is almost a requirement where we build communities.

Discord sent TeamSpeak to the grave with it’s focus on community building via robust chat functionality.

8 Likes

Yes, Alpha! Meaning … VERY VERY EARLY so expect many bugs, many issues. We are dogfooding it internally at Discourse, we have completely switched away from Mattermost to our own chat system, so believe me… we’re :dog::plate_with_cutlery: eating our own dogfood in a big way.

21 Likes

And I waited long enough to install mattermost that now I don’t have to!

18 Likes

My chat was turned off and it won’t let me turn it on.

ezgif-3-7d128217fa

6 Likes

Note this issue :arrow_up: has been fixed

10 Likes

Thank you! @sam :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you for this exciting update!

I installed the chat plugin on my instance and it mostly seems to be working perfectly.

However, the emojis are not working. Instead of icons, they are represented by text, like this:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 12.57.34

It’s not just me or my browser, it’s like this for all users. And here on Meta the chat emojis are displayed just fine when using the same browser.

Any ideas about what might be going on?

Do I need to install a separate icon pack or something like that for the emojis to work?

Thank you in advance for helping me sort this out!

4 Likes

How do you appear all the people of my forum in the chat? Instead of I add one by one? This would be more practical and intuitive than find and add 1 by 1 for I could speak

3 Likes

Can we delete chat rooms?

4 Likes

I don’t think so, not yet, but we will get that added

7 Likes

I’m on the latest version and it supports deleting chat rooms.
I think it is already very functional. I wouldn’t call it pre-alpha… maybe RC1

9 Likes

Yeah, I think it is very reasonable to call chat “beta” now … @codinghorror any objection to giving it that official title - we already have multiple beta users now. Calling chat alpha is a bit misleading.

21 Likes

Sure let’s beta it up! β

24 Likes

This will be a huge feature for my community. I’ve been wanting an ad-hoc, synchronous way for users to communicate but I didn’t want to add another disjointed platform into the mix. Can’t wait for this be GA!

13 Likes

Feature request:
I could use some help transitioning my users to the chat by automatically mass-joining them to some channels
:pray:

5 Likes

I would like this as well. Maybe even just a Group setting where one could add the chat channels to which members of a group would be auto-joined, similar to how many of the multi-select settings work.

Similar to this but I think different enough. The one below is more about auto-creation of a chat channel for the specific group:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/chats-for-discourse-groups/223967?u=jimkleiber

6 Likes