Introducing Discourse Chat (BETA)

Awesome, thanks for finding the problem. I did the Cloudron install yesterday, so it’s as up to date as that system gives me. It sounds like I’ll have to get used to the standard install if I want to use the chat plugin…it’s probably time anyway :smile:

4 Likes

This looks amazing. is it possible to test in a hosted standard discourse? I’m starting a new community and already feeling tension between using Discord versus Discourse. We made a hard decision to go Discourse first, and lose the chat, but this looks like it exactly what we need

4 Likes

I’m in the exact same position, and made the same decision! Very cool. Ultimately way better to own your own data / platform than the discord model for a real business.

6 Likes

Why not try literatecomputing.com or communiteq.com as a way to get the advantages of self-hosting (e.g. the chat plugin) while avoiding getting your hands unduly dirty?

I’m not sure if they support the chat plugin while in its Beta state but they both provide excellent service and support for this type of stuff.

5 Likes

Mostly because I want to support the Discourse team directly. This software is amazing and they a great job.

For the Discourse team I am very interested in eseing this feature on hosted plans. If the sales team is out there please mark me down as a strong lead!

5 Likes

How hard would this be in Discourse?

6 Likes

A good question and seems like it warrants its own topic.

6 Likes

Matrix protocol for chat :blush:

8 Likes

I’m sure some of these things are on your roadmap, or you know are gaps. The tool still seems really awesome and I’m still looking at how we can enable this widely in our community. :+1:

I did also encounter one bug:

4 Likes

Welcome, Devdream! Glad to have you in our community, and glad you are as excited as we are about discourse chat.

A cliff hanger! What is the bug? I think you forgot to include something in your post. :wink:

8 Likes

Everything has been great so far.

On iOS, Safari as well as Discourse Hub when you open the chat the top part gets overlapped by the header. So the minimize/close buttons aren’t visible, tapping on the logo is the only way out.

Just saw this topic, looks like Android, the same issue appears there:

8 Likes

Is there a theme (or theme component) that makes the chat go to the sidebar instead of floating above the Discourse topics?
Most displays today are wide enough to allow the topics and the chat side by side easily.

6 Likes

There is. Here on meta its called Focused Sidebar and Focused Sidebar (dark). I cant seem to find the topic for this theme thought.

5 Likes

Thanks. From what I understand, it is not available yet but is planned to be built in Discourse soon-ish.

4 Likes

The way to do this today is to go “full screen” on chat. It has its own sidebar for channels, no theme required.

Chat is full screen when you do the above, not side by side with topics. But that can be addressed by opening a separate window and putting them side by side.

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Users should be automatically removed from channels they can no longer access

Thanks, I was looking for side by side with topics. It would help users to adopt the concept of chat and topics duality

5 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to receive chat push notifications/emails?

Now this plugin is #official official I’m going to close this topic off. :+1:

15 Likes