Introducing Discourse Chat (BETA)

Am I allowed to share some screenshots of the closed chat feature from meta, to give a preview of what it looks like to my communities?

5 Likes

Sure, go ahead! :+1:

5 Likes

Yes, very interesting!
Is this chat support end-to-end encryption?
Thank you.

2 Likes

E2E is available in private messaging currently. Check out the plugin to learn more.

1 Like

I know very well that private messages support E2E.
how does this relate to this topic? we are discussing chat and not private messages here.

3 Likes

On our roadmap, some time in the next 12 months :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’d absolutely love a “Discord Import” tool for Discourse Chat! :heart:

3 Likes

How do we enable this for public? Or is this not yet supported? (that is, I can enable Admin just fine; I cannot find out how to enable it for any other group or “everyone”)

1 Like

I’m assuming you can just add “trust_level_0” (or whatever level you want) to the groups that have access.

1 Like

I did try that. It doesn’t show in the list nor on the main page.

1 Like

You can’t add it here?

1 Like

I can add it. It doesn’t show up for myself though:

1 Like

Gotcha. You’ll need to go into one of your public category’s settings at set the “enable chat” flag, then.

The chat channels people have access to will be based on what they have access to on the forums…so if you just have the “staff” category set up with chat, most of your users won’t have access to any channels on chat.

Alternatively, you can create chat channels based on threads, but I’ve been testing it more with categories and haven’t had any major issues.

5 Likes

Will be fixed by:

1 Like

Sorry I was able to move (actually copy but it said ‘move’) @joffreyjaffeux from the chat to the topic! I wonder if members should be allowed to copy other user’s chat messages from chat to topics? [it doesn’t say anywhere that the chat message was moved by me! :arrow_up:]

Thanks! (:

1 Like

no threaded reply?

Maybe admin should be given the option whether to allow a threaded reply or not? Thanks!

3 Likes

Hope chat can be embed on another domain

3 Likes

We allow reply to messages but no full “Slack thread” style things.

embedding in another site is not in our plans at the moment.

7 Likes

What are your plans for mobile? Specifically I’m interested in evaluating how this could fit for our workplace (ie. eventually replace slack).

• Would you be receiving message notifications through Discourse Hub / PWA Web Notificaitons?
  • Any plans for non-web-based options? Web-based chat apps on mobile seem like a bit of a hard sell.

Excited to try out the beta. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We already do.

I use DiscourseHub and it is A-OK, in fact I am not feeling any personal gaps compared to my previous use of Mattermost.

We will assess stuff as we go but are not approaching this a-priori with the preconception that Discourse Hub / PWA is doomed.

12 Likes