Invite flow for social logins

I’m trying to minimize friction for users joining my forum. These users are migrating from Facebook.

Unfortunately the Discourse invite system appears to ask for password and doesn’t present an option for a social login at the point of accepting the invite.

I’m aware that the password is marked as (optional), but I don’t think everyone will notice this and hence they will perhaps will be put off.

Also if they don’t put in a password what is the flow that get’s them to the point they can associate a social media login? I think unless this is upfront the users will perceive the site as one that needs “Yet Another Password”

4 Likes

Maybe turn off local logins? I’m not sure about the invite flow, can’t the click the Facebook login, or you’re saying that on account creation it asks for password?

You could customize the language to say something that makes it clearer that your can skip it.

Invite flow account creation does not display a facebook login - only asks for usersname + (optional) password.

1 Like

I just tried this out. If a user accepts an invitation and does not enter a password when accepting the invite, they can log out of the site, then log back in through a social login provider. I tested this with Facebook login.

1 Like

You have a few options here

1. Hide that field via CSS overrides on your site so users don’t have any opportunity to enter a password

2. Educate your users that they don’t need to enter a password, either just in time (by using CSS rules to add text on that invite accept page), or by modifying the invite email text in Admin, Customize, Text.

Here how the invitation page looks like nowadays:

• there is a red star next to “password”
  • no social login
  • no Twitter card
  • no Open Graph (missing tags: og:url, og:type, og:title, og:image, og:description, fb:app_id)
  • can’t be embedded on Discourse

I’m pretty sure, we can work to improve this page to increase the signup rate…

Here is a link if you want to try:
https://www.passionsonore.fr/invites/FMN5ScVN2o

2 Likes

I’m not sure I follow – social logins are irrelevant on that page because you are in the middle of completing a new account signup. That invite page isn’t meant to be extremely widely shared as it is a special purpose invite tied to your account, as the person who created the invite link. If you want to widely share a general login link, try:

https://www.passionsonore.fr/login

There’s your social logins, etc.

1 Like

Just came across this, and I agree that signup rates would likely improve if people were able to sign up with a social account after receiving an email invitation. Many ‘occasional’ users are reluctant to sign up with email and password because it’s another password they have to remember.

We typically invite people to specific groups, so I can see the challenge in inviting them using email, and they then sign up using a social account that may not have the same email address etc. At the same time, it would certainly remove a lot of friction in getting occasional users to sign up.

1 Like