iPhone X support in Discourse mobile app

(Chris Beach) #1

The official Discourse mobile app isn’t expanding to fill the gorgeous screen of iPhone X, sadly.

Hopefully something that can be easily fixed?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Probably won’t be fixed until we release 1.9, as we do app release after each software point release.

Kind of ballsy to call this a “bug”, don’t you think? :wink:

(Chris Beach) #3

I know… it’s not a bug… I’m looking at it wrong :relieved:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I would say the “bug” is that someone released new hardware long after our app release :smiley:

(Joffrey Jaffeux) #6

So FWIW, it’s not trivial as the app is relying on the old navigation module from react-native, which has since moved to GitHub - react-community/react-navigation: Learn once, navigate anywhere

react-navigation has iPhoneX support out of the box, so the issue is more about moving from a deprecated component to the new officially supported.

(Sam Saffron) #7

On the upside, no ugly black handle to stare at cutting through the progress bar

The biggest issue is safari view controller being in tiny mode, I wonder how hard that is to fix

(Jeff Atwood) #9

For now, but I guarantee FaceID will be a default on all devices as of iPhone 9 in late 2018 — bye bye home button. This xxxtra tall form factor is here to stay. So as they say

the future is already here, it’s just not evenly distributed

(Sam Saffron) #11

@joffreyjaffeux can you close once you get the app released

This is already implemented in the app I am running (beta) and works fine

(Chris Beach) #12

Just got the upgraded mobile app and it’s working well on iPhone X. Thanks! :pray:

(Sam Saffron) #13