Is Discourse supposed to log you out across browsers?

I was a bit surprised today as I was doing some testing. When I logged out from meta.discourse.org in my Chrome browser, I got logged out of meta.discourse.org in my Safari session as well. Also works the other way, as well as on a mobile browser.

Is this intended behaviour? it strikes me as quite odd. I don’t know of any other web app that does this.

Have you seen this topic? You’re looking for the site setting “log out strict”. IMHO this should not be checked by default…

3 Likes

Safety is the default, remember.

3 Likes

Yes, but it is configurable using the site setting “log out strict”

I am thinking we should maybe look at adding a “transitionary” logout screen that allows end users to pick their poison.

7 Likes

Would be a good idea since logout is so rare anyway an additional dialog is no big deal.

Mocked

(both would be in a modal)

.btn-huge {
    width: 100px;
    height: 100px;
    display:inline-flex;
    flex-direction:column;
    align-items: center;
    justify-content: center;
    vertical-align:middle;
}
.btn-huge i.fa {
    display:block;
    text-align:center;
    margin-right:0;
    margin-bottom: 7px;
}

The btn-huge style I just created seems like a good thing to have anyways (which is why I made it).

1 Like

“This device” not computer. Also I would say “Log me out everywhere” versus “Log me out on this device only” etc. Probably only the exceptional case should use fa-alert.

2 Likes

btn-huge looks really bad and not like a button.

I would simply display a modal with:

[ ] Log me out everywhere

[Log Out] [Cancel]

Choosing between two buttons is confusing, a checkbox that clearly explains what will happen is desirable.

4 Likes

Yeah, you’re probably right :laughing:

If you like the safety first rule applied here too, maybe the logout everywhere shout contain a countdown “(in 10s…)” just to make sure.