Is it possible to run Docker install locally?

The title basically says it all. I do not have a domain for the moment so I would like to run the Docker install locally.

Why can’t I just run the Vagrant install locally as suggested by this post? It’s because I want to be able to send posts on my Discourse deployment from another application (in Javascript). As far as I know, in order to do that, I need to enable Cross-Origin Resource Sharing by modifying some settings in app.yml. The problem: the Vagrant install doesn’t have an app.yml. (Let me know if I made some false assumptions here).

Also, if you know how I could send posts from my Javascript application to a Vagrant Discourse install, that would also solve my problem :sunglasses:

Note: I don’t want to develop Discourse.

Thanks!

You don’t need a domain to have a working Discourse. You can use the IP address of your server if you want.

Do I need to have a server on DigitalOcean? Or I can use localhost?

You should be able to run it locally.

To reply to your other question

You only need to enable CORS if the javascript you’re talking about is running on the client-side (ie. in your user’s browser). If it’s running on the server (probably using nodejs), you can just use the API :wink:

Thanks for your answer! :grinning: Yes my javascript is running on the client-side. I’ll try to setup the Docker install locally then.

1 Like