Is it possible to set a default notification schedule for new users?

Is it possible to set a default notification schedule for new users joining the site? For example, can we set as a default that notifications are only sent during office hours, and allow users to relax that if they really want to?

2 Likes

There is no way to configure that right now, and I don’t think it’s on the roadmap either. We have talked about having a richer experience for new users, with more prompts to learn about features such as this.

4 Likes

It would be a neat feature. One reason we are transitioning to discourse is to improve work life balance, so would be nice to set as a default for staff.

5 Likes

At the risk of going off topic briefly: Out of interest what platform are you transitioning from? (I did look at your Topic history briefly to check if you’d already stated it)

4 Likes

You should be able to achieve this with some external scripting; I’d do it by creating a webhook that’s called upon user creation, and then using a service like Integomat or Zapier to update the new user’s preferences.

Here are some relevant resources to get you started:

6 Likes

Email mostly :slight_smile:

We also use moodle for student facing info, but the idea is to use discourse to capture and document responses to queries as well as creating a community.

2 Likes