Is there a way to ensure certain topics are definitely included in the summary email?

Is there a way to ensure certain topics are definitely included in the summary email?

For example, I imagine that anything I pin globally, I’d like everyone to see!

2 Likes

Nope, however if you create and pin a banner topic every X days or weeks, any users that access the site in that time frame will see it, any user who does not visit the site in that time frame will see the topic in the summary email (if the user has the summary emails enabled).

In your case, if you want to send all the users the same email without distinction, you should use the newsletters. You could export all users in bulk from Discourse to extract their emails and use them to send regular newsletters to everyone.

I’d like this behavior:

If I understand this correctly, newly pinned topics will definitely be included in summary emails, correct, regardless of whether they are “top” topics?

Whether the topic is pinned or not, it doesn’t really matter, it must be just a new topic. You can also create a special category, say “Announcements” and insert it among the default categories watching in the site settings of the site. All new users will receive notifications related to that category and if they do not visit the site they will receive an email every time a topic is created in that category. You can also apply that setting to all the users via https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-do-i-set-category-tracking-level-defaults-historically/53165/

2 Likes

What if we made Announcements a default Tracked category? How does that affect the summary emails?

I don’t want every user to receive an email every time a topic is created in Announcements, I just want people to see it in their summary digest.

You can set the category in a way that only admins can create topics inside that category and no one else and the other users can only read them.

However if you want to send only the summary emails this setting is not for you, it does not affect the summary emails because in any case links of topics that are “New for you” are still sent, see

3 Likes

Our Announcements category is already set to this.

I was asking about how Tracking affects the Summary email, and I’m still not clear on that. However, I’ll simply experiment with Tracking a category here and see what happens to my summary email.

3 Likes

You can test the summary emails for any user and date at /admin / email /summary.

1 Like