Is there a way to use IMAP instead of POP3 for replies by email?

Is there a way to use IMAP instead of POP3 for replies by email?

1 Like

I can’t find it now, but for a time they were working on a way to use gmail smtp. It didn’t work with others.

2 Likes

As Jay mentioned, only Gmail is supported: IMAP support for group inboxes

1 Like

OK, thanks for your replies. I’m quite disappointed though. I spent days setting up my own email server, without realizing that I would need POP3 support, and the server software (https://stalw.art) only supports IMAP. More generally, POP is just an obsolete protocol these days.

I guess I should set up a redirection to an email service that does support POP. Oh well.

1 Like

The easiest thing to do is Configure direct-delivery incoming email for self-hosted sites

It’s much easier than maintaining an IMAP server anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointer, but it’s not ideal for me because it will make all email going to the domain directed to the Discourse forum (via the MX DNS record), which means that I cannot reuse the same domain for hosting the server email notifications are sent from – the Discourse forum would send the notifications to itself – so it implies I need to purchase a second domain. (Mailgun and the like are out of my budget.)

You can.

You don’t.

I’m not sure what your issue is, but you can use a different subdomain for outgoing mail and the mail receiver. It’s easiest to use the discourse subdomain for the mail receiver, but it’s not really required.

Ah, I didn’t know MX records were per sub-domain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.