Is there any way to edit/delete default badges?

Hi, I figured out that there’s no way to remove or edit the default badges in discourse. Is there any way to do it?

3 Likes

Not yet, but we will probably allow you to at least disable ones you don’t care about.

Why/what do you want to edit?

1 Like

I want to edit the names and make them as per the army ranks :wink: like Cadet, lieutenant, officer etc

4 Likes

That change runs quite deep, you would need to edit the faq as well. I will see what I can do, it will take a bit.

4 Likes

1+ for that i also need to change name of the badges as my forum subject does not gel with these kind of badges name so maybe if we can modify badge labels and images/icons that would be great

thanks

I am assuming the change of the badge icons can be done with a change in the CSS? Will try it out and confirm

Can be done in admin section

1 Like

Also my community is not big enough so I’d like to reduce limits as I see we don’t have posts with more than 20-30 messages or messages don’t have more than 3-10 likes. So for me those badges are useless as it shows zero count against each badge.

Forgive the necro, I’d just like to add my voice to those requesting this feature for the reason cited by polusok here. The current limits on these badges (likes, shares, etc) are too high to get any use in my low-mid activity community, and I’d like to be able to lower them to something achievable.

1 Like

You can always disable the core badges you need to disable and make exact copies with adjusted limits…

2 Likes

Which is something I’ve now done, having definitely thought of it before you mentioned it.

:sweat:

At the risk of overindulging my OCD though, it still would be nice to just be able to edit the defaults. Unnecessary duplication of badges is making the list at admin/badges a bit unwieldy, and I haven’t even done that much with it yet.

The issue though is that we need to track that you changed that default, further more you could change the default, break the badge, and then we would never be able to correct it for you.

I think its far safer not to allow people to much with SQL on stock badges.

1 Like

Ah okay, I was unaware of that particular wrinkle. I wasn’t assuming this was being withheld due to malice, but it’s still good to know the reason - thanks for the note.

I would also like to be able to edit the badge names because my forum is in Dutch but all the badge names are in English…

1 Like

You can rename badges in Customize -> Text Content. Just search for badges or the badge name you want to translate.

Oh, and here’s a screenshot of where you’ll find it in the administration if your language is Dutch. :wink:

If you want, you can join the Dutch translation team on Transifex and help translate Discourse into your language.

4 Likes

Yeah… except that that doesn’t work since the default badge titles are greyed out… :slight_smile:

Of course that’s disabled, but I did suggest a completely different solution.
Please read my post again… there’s even a screenshot that points you in the right direction. :wink:

4 Likes

Me two, I like army ranks

1 Like