Issue Tracker for Discourse

Continuing the discussion from Tickets Plugin :tickets::

I’m looking for a way to either use something like the Tickets Plugin 🎟, or to integrate with Forgejo’s issue tracker and Discourse. Maybe the latter would be easier to do?

When responding to this topic, please consider that the idea is not to make a one-time solution, but to provide an interesting approach for the free software community to integrate with development tools outside Github. Forgejo has precedence as it became the number one choice outside Github and Gitlab, e.g., running at Codeberg.org. But one could also consider SourceHut as it would make a splendid front-end for this minimalist email-based forge for hackers.

Originally I intended this topic to be in the marketplace, since I wanted someone to pick up the Tickets plugin, but I realize there’s a need for prior discussion before this can happen.

Notably, I’d like to know how you are using Discourse in combination of, or as a replacement to, your code forge or project management issue tracker. Discourse team feedback welcome!

1 Like

Another approach would be to develop a system that uses the Assign Plugin. I think that could meet most of the criteria of an issue tracker or ticketing system.

Probably no one knows more about it than they do.

Yes, extending or using the Assign plugin could be useful. Since @angus is busy elsewhere, I also wanted to test the water and see if there’s somebody interested in doing such work. With the still ongoing NGI Zero grants, this could be funded work.

Pavilion can take on new projects.

We just need the following:

• a functional spec
  • funding
  • a contract

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you think it would be better to build on Tickets, on Assign, or do something else?

Do we have a functional spec?

If not, let’s have that first!

1 Like

I have posted a similar proposal to Forgejo since they have a discussion about using the issue tracker as a discussion space. I think a Discourse integration would bring the best of both worlds.

From the top of my head, a functional spec would be:

• support multiple repositories
    • (maybe multiple organizations)
  • automatically create topics when issues are created
    • (maybe limited to issues tagged as discussion)
  • automatically create an issue when a tagged topic is created
    • (maybe as a ticket)
  • integrate remote users either through SSO (e.g., Oauth2) or ActivityPub (if ActivityPub plugin is present)
  • Provide a simple dashboard on the discourse
    • with filtering capabilities
    • maybe with kanban support

Of course this would require a bit more discussion and refinement before we can conclude on a suitable project.

2 Likes