I've come here after being disillusioned over and over for years

Hi. I was referred here by someone who said this might be a good software for me to redo my site on. I’ve been trying to have my site done up exactly like I want it to with all the features I thought of it having, for several years now. Along the way, I’ve been swindled out of thousands of dollars by programmers who took my money and ran out on me without completing anything–the rest of the ones I hired or tried to hire either didn’t have the time, the skill or flat out didn’t want to do it. I’m at the point where I feel like I and my ideas are just poison. I’m on the verge of giving up.

My site is a heavily modified SMF fork. It uses PHP. I need to be able to finish the live chat feature that got only some of the way done before the programmer stopped working on it and said he couldn’t complete it. {He was good about it, didn’t charge me as a result.} I’m tired of my sites being half finished, and failing to thrive as a result. I have solidified concept, vision and plan for what I want it to be, and really all it does is incorporate things already done elsewhere but combine them in a new way, so I don’t think it’s all that revolutionary.

I’m lost. I don’t know where to go or what to do, I just know I’m tired of running in circles. Latest programmer just told me he doesn’t have time for my site anymore so I’m pretty much deserted at this time. I know some primitive HTML, and CSS and other than that I am not a programmer. What would you do? Please no sarcastic responses either, I only ask that you be polite to me. I’m just so upset, but I was referred here so I will at least introduce myself and see how things are while I figure out what I’m supposed to do next.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

What exactly are you asking here?

I need to hire a programmer who would be willing to transfer my site to Discourse and this would include building a lot of modifications into it.

1 Like

I see, much clearer, recategorizing as marketplace.

Thank you very, very much.

I think you should give a brief idea of what exactly you are looking for in terms of moving from SMF to discourse (# of users, posts etc), and what kind of modifications you are looking for and your general budget.