Jforum import script

I’ve written an import script for jforum, the great java-based forum software. Here is my github fork:

https://github.com/mayerale/discourse/

It’s based on the phpBB import script (thank you for this great import script!) and includes import for:

• Users
  • Attachments
  • Categories
  • Topics
  • Postings (tries to convert bbcode)
  • Bookmarks
  • Smilies
  • Private Messages (tries to detect message threads)
  • Polls

I’ve successfully used it for my installation and would like to share the code with you. Anyone interested?

7 Likes

If you’d like to contribute it to the community, the best way would be to submit a pull request! Then it would live with all the other import_scripts for the community to use.

5 Likes

Hi Alex, I am doing a proof of concept to move my Jforum into Discourse. If you can share the code with me it would be extremely helpful.

3 Likes

The script is shared. See the import_scripts folder in the GitHub repo linked above. Note that the script hasn’t been updated in 2 years, so it likely needs some updates.

5 Likes

Thanks Joshua, will check out.

Hi, see my repo in the posting and directory import_scripts. I haven‘t updated it, so maybe it needs some updates.

2 Likes

Hi, I have used Jforum (Jaikoz and SongKong Forums) for many years and would now like to move all the content to a newly created Discourse forum (community.jthink.net) that I have just setup.

So excited to find your jforum plugin but at the moment Im struggling to understand how to run any discourse importer. I’ve read talk about setting up a discourse dev environment but seems overkill to me because I have a brand new discourse install so I happy to import straight into it.

Perhaps if I could break it down into stages someone could explain to me. It seems the first thing to do would be import users from one forum to another. But since the two forums cannot see another I would need to export users first.

So I ask how do you run

• import users
  • what format is required for the data

I can write the sql myself to export the data from jforum if I know what what is required for the import, and how to do the import.