Landing Pages Plugin šŸ›©

This looks exciting. Hoping to use a landing page to list upcoming events, or at least by tag.

Thanks!

Thanks for the patch! That works well. Do you think that it would be reasonable to add a config option for the landing homepage path? I tried other solutions to set a custom home page, but this is the only one that actually worked for me and this landing pages plugin.

Is there a way to access values from the plugin variables in the plugin.rb file?

@angus, is there a way to render the content of certain custom landing pages inside the normal Discourse layout instead of the layout for the landing pages plugin?

Not directly, but perhaps explain a bit more about what you have in mind and Iā€™ll point you in the right direction.

Iā€™m wondering if we can have the content of the custom landing pages load directly inside the main Ember app container layout rather than the landing pages layout?

I know now that Discourse has the option to turn topics into static pages, but Iā€™d rather not have the author info at the top or have the page URLs nested under /pub/.

I have one example where Iā€™d like to link to one of the static pages in the nav using the custom nav items component, but because it is not a path that the Ember app recognizes, it gives a 404 page when clicking the link in the header. If you navigate directly to the page URL it works fine, but not through Ember app links.

Is this plugin mostly meant to only work with static landing pages for when the user is not logged in or signed up, not inside the main app layout for logged-in users?

I see.

Is this the only reason youā€™re interested in rendering the content of landing page in Ember? If so we can handle that in a more lightweight way.

Thank you. Iā€™m hoping to be able to render either the built in Discourse pages or those of the landing pages plugin inside the ember app layout as informational pages for site members.

Some pages are for the public and can be rendered in the landing pages plugin layout and others will be for logged-in users and should be rendered in the main app layout so the customizations Iā€™ve done for the main app can be persisted including custom nav items and the user menu.

There doesnā€™t seem to be any existing way to do this with plugins or the Discourse core. Everything seems to be using their own layout for custom pages. Do you know if this is just a use-case limitation by existing solutionā€™s developers, or a limitation of the Discourse platform itself?

Iā€™m imagining that it involves more or less pulling custom pages from an API endpoint and using the slugs to match against the wildcard falback path in the js router?

hm, the distinctions youā€™re drawing here will make less sense once you get into the weeds a bit more.

Can you give me an example of this kind of page? Yes itā€™s true that the landing pages plugin doesnā€™t include the discourse nav items and user menu, however if you want those in a page, itā€™s best to create it for each specific use case within the Discourse app itself on a case by case basis. Trying to recreate them in a landing page wouldnā€™t make sense.

The reason there isnā€™t a generic way of doing this is because there isnā€™t a generic use case per se. Thereā€™s a number of approaches you can take, the best one will depend on what youā€™re looking to achieve. Itā€™s best if you lay what youā€™re trying to do in more detail, then I can give you more specific advice.

Start a new topic in #dev or over on Discussion - Pavilion explaining what youā€™re doing in detail and @me.

Alright, thank you. Iā€™ll do that :blush:

A post was split to a new topic: Error when importing private repo

hello i canā€™t install the sample theme can you help me

Youā€™ll need to describe what you did and what happened when you tried.

1 Like

Develcoder | Join I donā€™t understand why this part

Hi @angus, I tried installing this plugin on my Discourse instance but I kept getting errors after trying to rebuild app. This should be the relevant part:

I, [2022-06-16T15:13:33.339825 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'
rake aborted!
Gem::LoadError: can't activate jquery-rails-4.4.0, already activated jquery-rails-4.5.0
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin_gem.rb:27:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:773:in `gem'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-landing-pages/plugin.rb:20:in `activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:679:in `instance_eval'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:679:in `activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:279:in `block in activate_plugins!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:276:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:276:in `activate_plugins!'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:228:in `block in <class:Application>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin.rb:6:in `initialization_guard'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:227:in `<class:Application>'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:81:in `<module:Discourse>'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:80:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/Rakefile:7:in `require'
/var/www/discourse/Rakefile:7:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rake-13.0.6/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'
(See full trace by running task with --trace)
I, [2022-06-16T15:13:34.530066 #1]  INFO -- : gem install jquery-rails -v 4.4.0 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-landing-pages/gems/2.7.6 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Successfully installed jquery-rails-4.4.0
1 gem installed

I, [2022-06-16T15:13:34.530330 #1]  INFO -- : Terminating async processes
I, [2022-06-16T15:13:34.530366 #1]  INFO -- : Sending INT to HOME=/var/lib/postgresql USER=postgres exec chpst -u postgres:postgres:ssl-cert -U postgres:postgres:ssl-cert /usr/lib/postgresql/13/bin/postmaster -D /etc/postgresql/13/main pid: 42
103:signal-handler (1655392414) Received SIGTERM scheduling shutdown...
I, [2022-06-16T15:13:34.530403 #1]  INFO -- : Sending TERM to exec chpst -u redis -U redis /usr/bin/redis-server /etc/redis/redis.conf pid: 103
2022-06-16 15:13:34.530 UTC [42] LOG:  received fast shutdown request
103:M 16 Jun 2022 15:13:34.546 # User requested shutdown...
103:M 16 Jun 2022 15:13:34.546 * Saving the final RDB snapshot before exiting.
2022-06-16 15:13:34.551 UTC [42] LOG:  aborting any active transactions
2022-06-16 15:13:34.553 UTC [42] LOG:  background worker "logical replication launcher" (PID 51) exited with exit code 1
2022-06-16 15:13:34.554 UTC [46] LOG:  shutting down
103:M 16 Jun 2022 15:13:34.668 * DB saved on disk
103:M 16 Jun 2022 15:13:34.668 # Redis is now ready to exit, bye bye...
2022-06-16 15:13:34.724 UTC [42] LOG:  database system is shut down

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 1735 exit 1>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"db_migrate", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 1
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
bd8d903e1ec861801fdd32f7c35089aaebb97ca210dbe6eb5d584fc58379773e

I think this is the problem: Gem::LoadError: can't activate jquery-rails-4.4.0, already activated jquery-rails-4.5.0
Should be an easy fix, right? Just need to update dependencies from gem "jquery-rails", "4.4.0" in plugin.rb to gem "jquery-rails", "4.5.0"?

Thank you for this plugin.

The plugin does seem to be down. You might need to wait until the first week of July for a patch though.

https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/t/discourse-landing-pages-master-does-not-work-on-tests-passed/145

4 Likes

This plugin is working with the latest version of Discourse again :tada:

4 Likes

Happy to learn about your recovery from covid. Thank you for fixing the plugin in this conditionā€¦ :hugs: Get more rest!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, this plugin is being retired, which is why it has an end-of-life tag. I wonā€™t go into the technical weeds here, but it no longer makes sense to keep maintaining it in light of some changes in discourse/discourse and the overall workload and resource allocation within Pavilion.

The plugin works with the latest tests-passed, however it will no longer be updated along with any changes made to discourse/discourse. If someone wishes to take this up as a project in the future, Iā€™d be happy to work with them on it.

6 Likes

Thanks for working on it; it has been a lot of fun to use.

Would anyone be able to point towards the changes in discourse/discourse we can look to instead for the future?

1 Like

Iā€™m glad!

Ah sorry, I didnā€™t mean that there will be an alternative in discourse/discourse (although Page Publishing may suit some use cases). I meant that the technical structure of Discourse has changed in such a way to make this plugin unfeasible without a significant amount of work to change how it works structurally. Weā€™re quite busy with other work in Pavilion at the moment, and I canā€™t in good conscience promise to maintain this plugin through any further changes in Discourse.

Pavilion is working on our own new landing pages. Weā€™ll be using Hugo instead of this plugin.

1 Like