Layouts Plugin

Strange. I updated to 3 nested layers of categories but now i find that the Categories List component ignores any categories which have three layers within them. I get no errors in console

Update: I’ve worked it out. On our forum the component didn’t like category slugs left blank, so using the default set up which just uses sequential numbers. If one category or sub was using the default slug none of its brothers and sisters would show up either… well most of them wouldn’t. Occasionally one does and i can’t see why.

I’ve noticed this plugin doesn’t play nice on desktop with the popular Kanban boards plugin. That can be overcome by allowing users to close the plugin with a click. I guess expected functionality, if you want them to work together, would be that it recognises the other element and begins in closed mode. Allowing the user to open it if needed.

We are currently working on a modified version which would achieve that in a slightly different way. So it won’t be a direct solution to this bug for those who want their functionality to stay the same.

Hey @Drew-ART, check out the layouts interoperability topic on the Pavilion forum. This topic addresses the interoperability of the layouts plugin with other plugins/themes. There is a suggested fix mentioned for the layouts plugin to work with Discourse Kanban by adding some CSS.

3 Likes

I believe I’ve installed this according to your instructions here - Installation and Setup - Layouts - Pavilion and here - Widget Settings - Layouts - Pavilion. However, I am not seeing any change to the theme in use on my site - https://hangarflying.com. I’m sure I have missed some setting but am unable to find it. I’ve included my installation settings below. Thanks in advance!

Hey @Whiskey_Victor_LLC :slight_smile:

You need to enable some contexts. Have a read over the widget settings again, and let us know if anything isn’t clear there by replying to that topic

Yep I read it. I have one widget enabled with every context enabled and the layout still does not want to display…

Try removing “all categories”, save and refresh.

If you have follow up questions, or further issues with widget settings please post them here:

Ok cool, thank you that worked. Now I can’t seem to get the others to work…I will post them in the other site.

I have a very odd output with the use of both custom layout plugin and the location plugin.

I have the layout plugin set up in a way that shows a topic location map on the right side of the topic list for a couple of the categories. it used to display like this.

Starting from some time last week, if I click the link to the category, the map just won’t show up.

But I click refresh button in the browser, the map shows up again.

Any idea why this is happening? I got rid of all my CSS to test if its a CSS issue. But the phenomenon persists.

Any clues?

Some additional data point: When I load a category with the layout sidebar enabled, the sidebar doesn’t show and the CSS shows:

<div class="main-content discovery category no-sidebars" style="width: 100%">

When I click the refresh button in the browser, the sidebar with the map shows up and the html says:

<div id="ember128" class="sidebar-container ember-view"><div class="sidebar-content" data-click-outside="true"><div class="widget-container nav-container"><div class="locations-map">

Any idea why the plugin will consider the category to not configured to have sidebars when its actually the opposite?

Hey @ckshen

Thanks for identifying this issue in a very detailed manner. The information your provided will be very helpful in fixing this problem. I created a bug report for this issue, and hopefully we can resolve this issue very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience! I will post an update here once this issue is resolved.

3 Likes

Thank you for looking into this!

FYI this issue started when I upgraded the discourse software around a month ago. I upgraded to 2.8.0.beta6 (f38fd1a5a7) yesterday and the issue persists.

1 Like

I just added this plugin the other day and really like it. I’ve customized a mobile menu that seems to help very well. Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that the mobile menu doesn’t seem to show up with the new chat plugin. I’ve attached screenshots below (blanked out the site logo and chat threads for privacy reasons; also, I customized the whos-online plugin to be in that spot, not standard).

On the search page and other pages, it’s fine:

But on the chat page (which appears after clicking the chat bubble in the header menu), it no longer appears:

It’s not very urgent, however, with the new chat feature, I find it pretty nice to have (hate moving my thumb to the top of the screen to navigate).

Is there anything you suggest that I can do to fix it from my side?

1 Like

Also, I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not, but when I create a Category List and put it on the left side menu, when I click the dropdown arrow for the categories which have subcategories, I unintentionally am sent to the category.

What I’m expecting:

1. Click dropdown arrow
  2. Sub-categories are revealed and navigation doesn’t change
  3. Click up arrow
  4. Sub-categories are hidden and navigation doesn’t change

What’s happening:

1. Click dropdown arrow
  2. Sub-categories are revealed and navigation changes to that category
  3. Click up arrow
  4. Sub-categories are hidden and navigation doesn’t seem to change

It seems to happen both on desktop and mobile.

1 Like

Hey @jimkleiber

The chat plugin seems to add a custom route (/chat), which currently isn’t supported by the Layouts plugin. I have created a report for what you’ve mentioned and I will look into seeing if we can support this.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is anything currently possible that you can do to fix this.

Yes, this is the current expected behaviour of the widget. You are directed to the category first and then the subcategories appear. However, I will discuss with the rest of the Pavilion team about changing the behavior.

2 Likes

Excellent, thank you!

:+1:

Ah OK, yes, it just seems to confuse me as I normally expect the dropdown arrow to just dropdown without forcing a site navigation. I can understand if clicking on the category title or even row would navigate and dropdown, but with the arrow there, it seems to disrupt my expectations.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing a inconsistent mobile layout behaviour, browser related. On mobile, both Chrome and Firefox have the bottom nav bar fixed, doesn’t toggle on scroll. On DuckDuckGo, it toggles. I’m seeing same on my instance but also on thepavilion.

Hey @Mr.X_Mr.X,

Thanks for sharing this issue. It does seem to only be present on DuckDuckGo. I’ll look into resolving this

1 Like

I can’t seem to find the “Latest” and “Categories” context for the the Layouts plugin, tried on two different installs. Were the latest and category contexts removed or is a an error on my end?

Hey @Mr.X_Mr.X,

The Latest and Categories would not be listed under contexts as they are filters. You can select them through the Filters input or leave that input blank to target all the filters.

1 Like