Liking own posts — a specific use case of discourse

Update: Please let me explain what I’d like to have one more time, I probably messed up my explanation. My post has been edited, and the new title doesn’t reflect the workflow I’m trying to build. I’m sorry, I changed it back. I understand all your suggestions, and they all would work if I were a teacher, maybe. But I’m a student.

We’re using discourse for posting math problems, and it works wonderfully. I deployed it with the solved plugin, added a button that shows unsolved ones sorted by number of likes. The idea is to let us, students, to like problems even if they are our own topics. So this number can be a single metric the teacher can look at by clicking the unsolved button.

When I post a problem, I, as a student, sometimes can see the ways I can make steps to solve a problem, and I just add it to discourse, but sometimes I can’t, and liking my own topic would increase this single metric, and the teacher would see this, and give us hints.

This is the wokflow I’m trying to build. What I’m doing so far is posting problems from another account, but this only works for me, I can’t ask other participants to have a separate login for this.

I’ve seen plugin writers here. How hard would it be to make one that lets us like our own posts? I’m not asking to do this for me, I’d just like to know how much effort it would take, because I’m going to support that discourse for a long time, and if it’s not hard, in the long run it’s worth writing.

The original text: Is there a way to configure discourse so I can like my own topics? We use it for posting math problems and I’d like to be able to emphasize the most interesting ones.

I should add that we have an unsolved button, that our teacher uses to see the most liked unsolved problems.

3 Likes

You could pin them, add staff color or rely on the interesting ones actually being interesting, then the math will add up, with views and reply’s :grin:

But liking your own post, kinda redundant, you wouldn’t likely write one you didn’t like, right?

2 Likes

Errrrm no. You can’t like you own topics and I hope codinghorror does not see this : )

6 Likes

Use a tag to identify them? Eg ‘featured’

4 Likes

Related discussion:

4 Likes

This was the intention behind the “pinned topics” feature. (Either pinned to the top of the category, or pinned across the whole site globally.)

Since likes don’t by default show who the “likers” are, it wouldn’t really be much of a feature since many people could be liking posts.

2 Likes

Try out this suggestion, I’ve found it very effective (and striking). :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem is I’m a student, not a teacher. I post a lot of problems, but I’d like to highlight the most interesting or the hardest ones to me, to prioritize them.

1 Like

I am guessing the teachers are staff? You won’t be able to add staff colour if you are not moderator. Perhaps you can flag or message staff about it they can add staff colour themselves?

Have you tried to bookmark?

3 Likes

I should’ve pointed out that I added an unsolved button, which sorts unsolved problems by number of likes.

Yeah, I know, my request is weird, but this is our set-up so far.

3 Likes

That’s the function of bookmarks. I think that is exactly what bookmarks are for.

3 Likes

I’d recommend bookmarks as well. We have some changes in the pipe for those too. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

I’ve written an update to the original topic, trying to come up with a better explanation what workflow we’d like to have.

2 Likes

You can do anything in a plugin. Consider posting in #marketplace to recruit a developer to build it for you.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a good option, thank you.

Here’s the post on marketplace:

3 Likes

I believe there is a plugin or theme component called something like Topic Ratings? That may help with what your trying to acheive

3 Likes

I’ll look into this, thanks.

2 Likes

If your just wanting to have posts boosted have you considered maybe a bot?

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. How would that work?

The bot might be able to be set for example if you add to your post @botname it likes the poster’s post.

2 Likes