Feature idea: Liking my own comments

Hi,

I’d like to like my own comments, but noticed that this is missing from Discourse. Is this on the roadmap/possible to enable?

2 Likes

I feel like there was some signficant dialogue on this question back in 2013 or 2014, but can’t dig it up. Suffice to say, it’s not something that’s supported, and was a deliberate decision back then.

BUT … Is there something you’re trying to accomplish with “self liking” that might be able to be worked around with a different feature?

6 Likes

@downey honestly there isn’t a practical purpose, but the level of joy it gives me is enough that I made an account here just to bring it up. We use Discourse over at the New Relic forums, and liking my own comments would just add that extra bit of satisfaction to my day, you know?

2 Likes

See, I just liked your comment. You can’t tell me that didn’t feel at least a little good.

3 Likes

I will give you some likes to hopefully make up for things. :slight_smile:

One thing to remember is that there is a default badge you can earn for liking others’ stuff – Out of Love badge on Discourse Meta – and you can receive it multiple times!

6 Likes

I’d like this feature too and would hope use it wisely. However, I’m really happy that it doesn’t exist because it would be used indiscriminately and would lose any useful meaning. It would distort the like statistics and encourage users to make more and smaller posts just to get their like stats to increase.

In the unlikely event this doesn’t become a core feature :wink: then a workaround is to create a second account just for liking your own comments. I’m sure I’ve seen other users do this already: they probably turned out to be spammers. Unfortunately, if I wanted to say I was pleased with my post content - sometimes a post is really concise and to the point or has taken hours of work - then using a second account wouldn’t carry my intended meaning to other users.

I’d also feel worse if I liked my own post and it wasn’t any good.

P.S. Did you try it? On my phone, without looking too closely, that second like looks like you with a beard - and they only joined just after you posted. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s not quite the same, but if there’s something you created that you want to highlight, there is a “Featured Topic” field for your user profile. If you click on my avatar photo you’ll see an example on the user card pop-up and the detailed user profile page.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to be a :heart: breaker but this isn’t gonna happen :broken_heart:

14 Likes
2 Likes

Personally I have this going around in my head:

4 Likes

This is why we have the Impersonate feature

1 Like

Personally I have this going in my head:

You are all welcome

5 Likes

To summarize: It’s too heart to add this feature.

6 Likes