Making 'Leave Chat' more discoverable

This has cropped up a couple of times in ~chat-feedback now where the ‘Leave Chat’ button is too hidden to find easily. One of the suggestions is to add it next to where you would find the ‘Join’ button, as well as adding a cross to the sidebar like Personal Chats:

Originally sent in chat feedback
bartv

I can't figure out how to leave a channel?

JammyDodger

If you click on the channel title, and then flip to the About tab, you should see the option to Leave in there :+1:

For Personal Chat you can press the x icon next to the chat title, but this is currently only available on desktop

bartv

Thanks! I clicked the pencil next to 'channels' and was expecting an option to leave on that page somewhere:

JammyDodger

That does make sense to have one next to the 'join/joined' button

Originally sent in chat feedback
xan2622

Hi. How does one leave a (chat) channel ?

I can see "Join" buttons, but not "leave" buttons.

Also, on the left sidebar, when I hover the channel with my mouse cursor, I expected a [ X ] button to appear but there's none.

image.png

JammyDodger

For the public channels you can leave them from the channel's About tab - https://meta.discourse.org/chat/channel/129/chat-feedback/info/about

You can navigate to there by clicking on the channel's title

xan2622

Thank you.

It's a little bit too "hidden", IMO

4 Likes

One thought I’ve had recently that’d improve this a little bit is to make the About page the first place you go when you click on a channel name, rather than the members list.

1 Like

Mock-up:
The [ X ] button would appear on mouse over.

leave_channel

1 Like

We already have an X for personal chats, so that seems like an easy extension for channels

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 11.13.51 AM

3 Likes

Replicate the Leave Chat button between the About and Settings tab, because the Settings tab is what you get when you click the only remaining visible “more options” button on a joined channel.

4 Likes

After reading this topic and clicking on the pencil button I realize there are more channels to join :thinking: maybe we should make joining more discoverable as well

2 Likes

Curious what we do for groups? It is possible to make groups one can freely join and leave, is there UX we can copy from there?

1 Like

It would also be very handy as an admin to be able to remove people from a channel. I’ve had a couple of times when I’ve accidentally added a whole bunch due to a rogue group added to the category security settings and the only way to deal with it is to delete the channel.

1 Like

If we’re not talking hundreds it’s also an option to impersonate and leave on their behalf.

That is a pain for more than one or two!! And you can’t impersonate Admins (the ones I most frequently accidentally include).